What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How dark will it be?

A5555

Well Known Member
planning for this around Hopkinsville KY area. Hopkinsville was charging $150 to park in the grass for the weekend. They said they had one spot remaining as of last week.

How dark will it be?

eclipse_zpsltetootr.jpg

Bah, humbug! It'll probably be raining and overcast in my part of the country. Plus, a NASA manager has scheduled a Safety Review for a Soyuz mission to International Space Station for that day. Of all days for me to be needed at work...

I've been in a full eclipse before. I'd say it was similar to Nautical Twilight, which is near full darkness.

The most interesting and unexpected thing to me about that eclipse was that light filtered through the tree leaves as the eclipse was passing into and out of the partial eclipse phase, and the gaps where light shone between tree leaves produced neat little images of a partial eclipse. Thousands of 'em under each tree or shrub...

Kind of like a pinhole camera.

I experienced a near-total eclipse from the roof of the University of Minnesota physics building when I was at school. It got very dark - but what I remember most was the silence. All of nature went quiet, as did the humans.

Looking forward to this one at Independence Airpark in Oregon!

Paul

I experienced a near-total eclipse from the roof of the University of Minnesota physics building when I was at school. It got very dark - but what I remember most was the silence. All of nature went quiet, as did the humans.
l

....and, as the sun re-appears, the birds all start singing.

This is the part you miss if airborne.

A few VAF'ers did the same in Australia in 2012, filming it too.

From ronoc74's 2012 eclipse thread we have his YouTube video shot from his RV-9 when the eclipse passed over Australia as an example. Seems perfectly safe to fly, you always have a visible horizon.

Enjoy yourselves! :)

EDIT: Looks like the next good one for the Land Downunder will be July 22, 2028, from Kununurra, Tennant Creek, Birdsville, Dubbo, and smack over Sydney for over 3 minutes.
Animation of that one - seems BBCode doesn't like GIF's...

Last edited:
I saw the partial solar eclipse in 1979 and all our chickens walked over to the coop and roosted for the "night". Yes, it got very quiet.

Ha! Ye of little imagination. During the solar eclipse in 1979, faced with the prospect of poor weather in the Pacific Northwest, we rented a Cessna T210 and watched the eclipse from 23000 feet. Ain't no way I'm paying $150 to park for a weekend -- I'll watch the eclipse from the air.

And the FARs don't say anything about being night current with respect to eclipses...

Im planning on flying it up in Oregon (from Cali)
Figure it will be crazy anywhere on the ground.

Wondering how many others are thinking the same and how busy the airspace will be. Flight following should be interesting.

OK, here's the question.

If you're flying, will you turn your NAV lights on. It will be dark, but no sunset or sunrise.
I better have a beer and ponder that..

And. NO, you can't log a night landing.

Solar Eclipse

Were lucky, our airpark is less than 1 mile from the exact center-line of the eclipse.

Back