What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tom flys his P-51, tonight on TV

gmcjetpilot

Well Known Member
Tom Cruise gets interviewed on Prime time ABC by Diane Sawyer tonight. Apparently from the promo, Tommy takes Diane for a ride in his P-51. Rich sum-a-biscuit. I'll record it to see (hear even better) the P-51, so I can skip the interview. George

gmcjetpilot said:
Tom Cruise gets interviewed on Prime time ABC by Diane Sawyer tonight. Apparently from the promo, Tommy takes Diane for a ride in his P-51. Rich sum-a-biscuit. I'll record it to see (hear even better) the P-51, so I can skip the interview. George

he may have $$$ but he has to live with himself.... I'd forfeit his wealth before having to spend 24/7 w/ him. I love many of his movies but he is even weirder than Kimmy B [and I just read what you had to say about her]...

:p

all the best and Happy Easter to all

John

thanks for the headsup, george. i was planning on working on the -7 tonight, and watching the cardinal game while my wife watches the TC interview. may have to flip over to catch the -stang ride! :cool:

Well what the hay

He seemed like an average guy playing to the interviewer. It was definitly not a stimulating pilot to pilot interview (meaning I didn't care for it much) but he appears to be just doing a movie star interview job thing. The Mustang looks very good (mint condition +) and the fact that he can fly it deserves credit. Thanks for letting me know it was going to be on.

Bob Axsom

Nice backdrop

Interesting, story. I too was impressed that he can fly the Mustang. Apparently he is a quite high time pilot. Anyone know where the Mustang is based? Also enjoy his movies.

He supposedly has/had a Pitts, and Gulfstream. Too bad he is goofier than well.... I'll restrain myself.

I know Carson Daly had an RV4 a few years back. Anyone know if he still has it and flies?

His Mustang(s) are based at Van Nuys (VNY) the flight took place out of Mojove if I understand correctly. The one he usually flies is the P-51K (similer to the D, but with a different prop, and some other minor changes), but it is rumored that he also has a A-36 or P-51A model, don't know.

No NOISE

RV7Guy said:
Interesting, story. I too was impressed that he can fly the Mustang. Apparently he is a quite high time pilot. Anyone know where the Mustang is based? Also enjoy his movies.

I know Carson Daly had an RV4 a few years back. Anyone know if he still has it and flies?
Carson Daly does not have a current medical I guess because he does not show up on the FAA records? Is that his real name? However TOM CRUISE turns up nothing. I guess they have the info blocked. Don't know how that works?

Sorry guys I just looked at my DVCR of the interview and saw the flying part was about one minutes worth. OK well. They also OVER dubbed the sound with commentary. Great. :rolleyes:

George

thanks for the heads up. plane sure looks nice. rumored to have made 75mil on MI 3. that will pay for a nice warbird!

I had a philly cheese today at Mojave and didn't see him, or anyone flying today. :)
412060542sp.jpg

mark manda said:
thanks for the heads up. plane sure looks nice. rumored to have made 75mil on MI 3. that will pay for a nice warbird!

I had a philly cheese today at Mojave and didn't see him, or anyone flying today. :)
412060542sp.jpg

Mark

You should have called. That's my normal lunch place during the week. It's a whole like 5 minute flight.

Cam

osxuser said:
His Mustang(s) are based at Van Nuys (VNY) the flight took place out of Mojove if I understand correctly.

I think I saw his P51 during lunch one day at the Voyager Cafe.

Amazing what you see when you eat lunch every day at the Mojave airport. :D

gmcjetpilot said:
Carson Daly does not have a current medical I guess because he does not show up on the FAA records? Is that his real name? However TOM CRUISE turns up nothing. I guess they have the info blocked. Don't know how that works?
George
i'm not sure on carson daly, but i know tom's last name is not cruise, so it would not show up on the faa records. the records work for travolta and ford with addresses (just PO boxes, or a manager address), so the info does not get blocked.

You CAN ask the FAA to block your records. My dad did the reasearch because he was getting names from them for a mailing list.

Hiding in the bushes

cjensen said:
i'm not sure on carson daly, but i know tom's last name is not cruise, so it would not show up on the faa records. the records work for Travolta and ford with addresses (just PO boxes, or a manager address), so the info does not get blocked.
Oh good news for stalkers! What is Angelina Jolie address! :rolleyes: I checked Travolta and Harrison's Airmen data, but negative on P.O Boxes, that's a no no with the FAA I think? George

Tom Cruise

Tom Cruise is one of the best pilots of all times. If you haven't seen the movie "TOP GUN" you need to see it and some of the flying Tom did in a F-14. This one maneuver he did when being chased by "Chester" Tom pulled the parking brake at the same time pulling up on the stick and "Chester flew on by and then Tom pulled in for the kill behind him, BRILLIANT!
I stayed up past my bedtime to see Tom on Primetime and was a little disappointed that they didn't show much flying but it was worth it to see Tom's great landing and then Diane Sawyer get stuck under the canopy trying to get out of the backseat of the P-51.
I can't wait to the new MI3 movie.
Robert Ruggles
Surprise Az.

Tom's P-51

Tom's okay. The P-51K is great - the sounf of a Rolls-Royce engine on a fly-by is incredible. I like most of his movies. I don't understand his beliefs. The fact that he's a pilot doesn't impress me - sorry TOM fans. I hate to say it but there are individuals out there flying because they had more money to throw at an instructor than they have sense to fly. I'm not saing he's one of them. For all I know he's one of the best pilots in the country. He is, however, just as human as any one of us.

......and why don't we see more "celebrity" pilots getting involved in G.A. matters? Harrison Ford is the only one that I nkow of that is involved. Michael Dorn had been on Discovery Wings talking about his personal jet that he flys. Even the NASCAR guys are silent when it comes to G.A. These celebrity pilots have the media in their face all the time and G.A. never gets mentioned. They could use that to help the G.A. community but they don't. Are there things happening on the west coast that I don't know about?...... and now I'm starting to sound a bit cynical to me - I'm stepping off the "I really don't know what I'm taking about" soap box.

Anyway........

What I'd really like to see is the P-51A. Isn't that the type of P-51 that we sent to the British during the early years of P-51 production? It's got to be one of the older/oldest P-51's built - unless it's a "D" (or something) that has been modified to look like an "A".

Cynical Robert :D

Tom in the F14

robert ruggles said:
Tom Cruise is one of the best pilots of all times. If you haven't seen the movie "TOP GUN" you need to see it and some of the flying Tom did in a F-14. This one maneuver he did when being chased by "Chester" Tom pulled the parking brake at the same time pulling up on the stick and "Chester flew on by and then Tom pulled in for the kill behind him, BRILLIANT!
That was very cool of the US Navy to train Tom to fly an F14 for that movie. They are so generous! :)

Ha ha He he, please

robert ruggles said:
Tom Cruise is one of the best pilots of all times. If you haven't seen the movie "TOP GUN" you need to see it and some of the flying Tom did in a F-14. This one maneuver he did when being chased by "Chester" Tom pulled the parking brake at the same time pulling up on the stick and "Chester flew on by and then Tom pulled in for the kill behind him, BRILLIANT! Surprise Az.
YOU ARE KIDDING RIGHT!

Actually in the interview he said during Top Gun he tried to learn how to be a pilot but could not do it because of dyslexia. Have no fear Scientology to the rescue!

Personally when I cross the Atlantic, half way around the world, shooting an approach at night to mins in rain and moderate turbulence, I invoke my Jet-eye "Use the Force" powers. :rolleyes:

G

Last edited:
gmcjetpilot said:
YOU ARE KIDDING RIGHT!

Actually in the interview he said during Top Gun he tried to learn how to be a pilot but could not do it because of dyslexia. Have no fear Scientology to the rescue!

G

Does this mean he could be flying inverted and think he's right-side up?

robert ruggles said:

LOL. Oh yeah. Or how bout when he rolled the Tomcat right after the cat shot with the carrier centered in the background? Cruise is right up there with Chuck Yeager and Sean Tucker!

Top Gun

robert ruggles said:
This one maneuver he did when being chased by "Chester" Tom pulled the parking brake at the same time pulling up on the stick and "Chester flew on by and then Tom pulled in for the kill behind him, BRILLIANT!

Robert Ruggles
Surprise Az.

I believe the Scooter driver's call sign was "Jester".

Hawkeye

Robert M said:
Even the NASCAR guys are silent when it comes to G.A. These celebrity pilots have the media in their face all the time and G.A. never gets mentioned. They could use that to help the G.A. community but they don't.
NASCAR teams look at their aircraft as a tool to conduct their business. Since NASCAR is all corporate now, my opinion is that they don't want to appear "pedestrian" and associate themselves with GA. They're all members of the NBAA (National Business Aviation Administration), and I think NBAA likes to distance themselves from GA as well. Got to keep up those professional appearances, you know... :rolleyes:

I don't like Tom Cruise much lately due to his outspoken support of Scientology. And you're right, he's done some crazy stuff lately. I doubt I'll ever pay money to see one of his films again.

However, his response to having water squirted into his face while being interviewed was quite reasonable. Sure he could just walked away but that's not always the best approach. He tried to find out why the "interviewer" did it and then told him off. IMHO, he handled that shocking and humiliating event quite well.

Kev

I woulda hocked a huge clam right in that guy's face. What's he gonna do, sue me for my giant box of scrap aluminum?

Squirted

kcameron said:
...However, his response to having water squirted into his face while being interviewed was quite reasonable. Sure he could just walked away but that's not always the best approach. He tried to find out why the "interviewer" did it and then told him off. IMHO, he handled that shocking and humiliating event quite well.
I agree, he was very cool. That's the first time I've ever seen the whole sequence. The only ones I've seen before were heavily edited, showing the squirt, him saying the guy is a j-e-r-k, and walking away. This shows a totally different story. Goes to show it's hard to trust anything you see on TV. There are a lot of people that say the Internet is full of half-baked BS, but from time to time you do find some truth. It must be Tom's pilot training that helped him keep his cool! :)

Robert M said:
What I'd really like to see is the P-51A. Isn't that the type of P-51 that we sent to the British during the early years of P-51 production? It's got to be one of the older/oldest P-51's built - unless it's a "D" (or something) that has been modified to look like an "A".

Cynical Robert :D

EAA has the very first P-51. It is the prototype XP-51 and was aquired from NASM in exchange for some other A/C. When you look at it, you can really see the similarity to the P-40.

Tom Cruise P-51

My guess is Tom uses his birth name on his FAA records--if I'm not mistaken his real last name is something else--Cruise is his "stage" name.

AK180Driver said:
My guess is Tom uses his birth name on his FAA records--if I'm not mistaken his real last name is something else--Cruise is his "stage" name.

Thomas Cruise Mapother IV

Back