What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Radio questions

robert ruggles

I bought a RV3 that has a Terra radio, panel mounted headphone jacks and a Comant CI-122 antenna. The Terra radio has no flip flop, I want to use a hand help for atis/ground, can I just install a VHF diplexer coupler and have both radios on and at the same time using the one antenna?
What I'm stumped on is with the mounted phone jacks, how do I get my headset hooked up to both radios?
Thanks
Robert Ruggles
Surprise Az.

I bought some kind of antenna coupler and a headset adapter for the handheld from Pacific Coast Avionics I believe. While I use the handheld to get ATIS, I then use the normal radio for everything else. The handheld ATIS reception is with the radio off. When flying I just request a frequency change to get the ATIS.

You need a device that separates the antenna connections from the two radios. If they are hard wired together through the diplexer, then when you transmit on one, all the power goes into the other receiver and fries it.

The diplexers are only used on recieve antennas like VOR and glide slope.

Why not get rid of the Terra ( which is not much of a radio anyway) and install an Icom for $600, and then you have a modern flip flop radio?

Not a good idea...

to have 2 transmitters on one antenna. There are a few "couplers" out there, I can think of the KX99 coupler that Bendix/King used to sell (not sure if they still do). This only shared the antenna, not the headset. You could share your headset by using a 4 pole 2 throw switch, and switch your mic, headset and PTT lines between the 2 radios.

I would have to agree that using a better panel radio would be a whole lot better as usability and reliability goes.

I hope this helps. Disclaimer: this is JMHO follow or disregard at your own risk! :p

There is a device called a duplexer (with a U), not a diplexer (with an I). This will allow you to connect two radios to the same antenna. There is some loss, both on xmit and receive, and it probably costs as much as a new Icom radio. If you're interested, I think Comant makes one.

Clear skies,

guess I need a new radio if I want flip-flop.
no room for a Icom, have you seen the new Microair, I had a Microair in my last plane, it was ok, a little hard to work in rough air, the larger knobs on the new one will help.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/microair760.php
thanks for the replies
Robert

You might look at the XCOM 760. I have one and like it. Read some of the recent threads as there was a bad batch, I understand. Good value and hard to beat the performance. The built in intercom is fabulous.

Bob Kelly

Back