What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

WHY?

robert ruggles

I'm spray painting my tail tips, put the first coat on yesterday and today put on another coat. I sanded between coats with #400.
One of my tips the paint wrinkled.
Did this happen because I did not wait long enough between coats or can this happen if applied to heavy?
Thanks
Robert Ruggles
Surprise Az.

Two basic reasons

The wrinkling happens because the solvent in the paint you are applying is reacting with the paint underneath.

This can happen because,
1) The top coat is not compatible with the primer underneath (you will see this on the first coat you apply over the primer)

2) you did not wait until the paint underneath was dried out enough. Pay close attention to recoat times.temperatures

3) @ is made worse if the coats you are applying are very thick

Frank

Weather?

robert ruggles said:
I'm spray painting my tail tips, put the first coat on yesterday and today put on another coat. I sanded between coats with #400.
One of my tips the paint wrinkled.
Did this happen because I did not wait long enough between coats or can this happen if applied to heavy?
Thanks
Robert Ruggles
Surprise Az.

Robert... I presume that it was hotter and drier at your location than Tucson (90F and 9% humidity)

The wrinkling could be caused by a heavy paint application and the surface "skinning off" before the solvents in the main paint layer have evaporated...

The paint shop that sold you the paint should be able to recommend the correct reducer/thinner to use in our hot/dry climate.

gil in Tucson - feels like summer is here already...

if it dried completely over night, its possible that sanding too deeply with the 400 grit, could have allowed the solvents from the fresh paint to dig below the first coat. Basically trying to reduce the layer on the bottom. I have seen this happen with everything from primers to clears, as well as single stage systems, and spray paint. perhaps your reducer was to fast or slow for your surface temp. But if we are talking about rattle can spray paint... all bets are off. LOL

Back