What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuselage order tips

N546RV

Well Known Member
Well folks, it's about time to order my fuselage kit. What are some items/decisions I should be thinking about before placing the order? Obviously there's the big decision about which end the third wheel goes on, but I'm 99% set on a tailwheel, and I'll be doing my first tailwheel lesson in the next week or so (just so I can make a slightly more educated decision).

Other items I'm aware of:
  • Gear legs: I've thought in the past about doing the Grove airfoil legs, but I'm pretty much set now on sticking with the factory setup, unless someone can convince me otherwise.
  • Other gear stuff: I gather there are upgraded/aftermarket wheels/etc that may be a good alternative to whatever Van's provides?
  • Tailwheel: Same here, I know I've seen talk about various alternatives back here, like the fork, steering links, etc.

Anything else I should be considering? For the record, my overall attitude with the build right now is basically to stick with the plans unless there's a really good reason to do something different. This is based on me wanting to get this thing done sometime this century. :p

Thanks!

Fuse order

I deleted the main wheels and ordered Groves. I am very impressed with the quality of the Groves.

I opted for ground adjustable rudder pedals. They fit poor and I had to re-make some of the mounting angles from scratch. I would have changed to flight adjustable but changing after the fact is a $500.00 (+/-) proposition. I would probably go with the flight adjustable if I had to do it again, just because I expect they fit.

Good call on the pedals, I forgot about those. I'm definitely planning on the cockpit-adjustable pedals, even though they'll likely spend their entire life all the way forward to accommodate my giant proportions.

What about rear rudder pedals? I've gathered that they're not all that useful really, but I also seem to recall that they're a requirement for most formation clinics...

The Grove legs will not add much, if anything to build time, and do offer a significant weight saving. If you are looking to "build light", I doubt you will find a quicker / easier / cheaper to save some lbs.

The airfoil legs do not save as much as the standard type, but do save the fairings. Need to consider though "care" they need e.g. polishing off bugs / sanding out pits to stop corrosion / cracks.

The ground adjustable rudder pedals will save more weight (and $$) if you are weight obsessed ;) But "hassle" if you ever need to adjust them (if you are long legged, the air adjustable will let you pull them back easily for any maintenance).

Rear Rudder pedals. Easy to fit / build, and you can remove them if you want.

Tailwheel fork etc. More opinions available than options :D If you will operate from soft / rough ground I would get a better "fork" than Vans e.g. Bell for ground clearance. But I doubt any option would see you delete significant $$ parts of the kit, so can leave that for now...

For the record, my overall attitude with the build right now is basically to stick with the plans unless there's a really good reason to do something different
Sounds a good plan - my vote for one change would be Vans Gear legs to Grove Standard. Even if you later change your mind, I suspect there are lots of cheap standard Vans legs available from people who went Grove...

hi Phillip,
+1 on what Andy said,

For other ideas, here's what I deleted from the Van's standard fuse order:
- Tail wheel assembly
- Gear legs and their brackets
- Brake fluid reservoir & brake master cylinders
- Fuel selector valve
- Fresh air vents (the plastic ones)

here's what I added to the order:
- Rear seat rudder pedals
- In-Flight adjustable front pedals
- Static air kit (not sure I'll use theirs, but I have it)
- Manual aileron trim (not sure I'll install it)

Here's what I bought from the Van's store:
- Assorted nutplates, screws and rivets (for removable floors & gear leg towers)
- 12 1/2 X 16 inch 0.040" aluminum sheet (to modify the gear leg towers)
- Rear throttle quadrant
- The tail wheel mount WD-409 (you will have to drill it)
Don't forget to order the fuel pump and filter you need for your engine.
Don't forget also the throttle quadrant, it's not included in the kit.

Here's what I ordered elsewhere:
From Flyboy accessories
- Screaming Eagle complete tail wheel unit
- Van's type tailwheel tapered rod spring (needs to be drilled)
- RV Rocket Steering Link
- Deluxe tail wheel tire
- Sliding Canopy Automatic Latch with two stops
- Sliding Canopy Lock
- Internal Rudder Stop
- Rod End Bearing Tool
- EXPERIMENTAL vinyl graphic
- Waterproof WarmSeats Seat Heaters (for winter in Canada...)

From Aircraft Spruce
- Steinair Aluminum Eyeball Vents
- The AeroElectric Connection book
- Torque seal
- Stainless Steel cabin heat box
- Vertical Power VP-X Pro and wiring
- Andair duplex fuel valve (should of bought it from Andair directly)
- 3M Fire Barrier+ 2000
- Extra 3/8" tubing and fittings etc, for the fuel system

From Protek (going electronic fuel injection & ignition)
- Dual fuel pump module
- 10 micron fuel filter

From Andair, I will need 1 or 2 gascolators (because of Canadian requirements)

Will buy from Grove Aircraft
- RV-8 Airfoiled Lightweight Gear
- Brake Master Cylinders with Integrated Reservoirs
- (possibly) RV Upgraded Wheels and Brakes

I will probably get a FatBoy throttle quadrant with switches and a couple of control stick handles as well.

I still need to think about and select what interior and belts I'll get.

And there is for sure other stuff that I forgot for now... :-o

So lots of options possible in the fuselage, just take your time and think of what airplane you want from front to back. You'll be amazed at what you may want to change/upgrade even while keeping it simple...

Good luck !!

Last edited:
Back