What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

KLN-89B + KI 209

ChiefPilot

Well Known Member
I'm installing my avionics and have a KLN-89B IFR-capable GPS I picked up yellow tagged from an avionics shop. It also came with a MidContinent MD41 annunciator and switching panel, so I think I'm good to go there. I also have a KX-155 and KI 209 VOR/LOC/GS indicator. It seems relatively straightforward to wire the KX-155 and the KLN-89B to the annunciator/switching panel and then wire it to the KI 209. The MD41 switch has internal relays, so it should let me pick which radio is driving the indicator.

My question is this: Is it really this easy? It seems too straightforward, given the headaches I've heard about from owners of factory aircraft who have had GPS units installed. Has anyone been down this path before?

Thanks!

You need a KI-209A. It was designed to work with VOR/ILS and GPS receiver combos. The older KI-209 doesn't have, among other things, the necessary circuitry for OBS feedback to the GPS, which is required for IFR certification.

Thanks for the reply Mike - I just figured this out last night. Grrr. Argh. Nothing's ever easy :)

-Brad

Well, the good news is that you should be able to sell the KI-209 and pick up the 209A for a just a few hundred bucks more. One other thing, the 209A has the relays build into the indicator so you have some options. You could build your own annunciator/switch panel if so inclined.

Back