What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VOR antenna coax

rcarsey

Well Known Member
So this is a bit of a retrofit as the IFR kit came out after my tail was closed up. The instructions call for running the coax down the VS and into the tailcone (right in the center, 3? from the aft edge of the tailcone.

The coax is then routed thru a zip tie which is affixed to the right-side rudder guide, and then it continues forward along a J channel..all the way to the baggage bulkhead.

My question is, how do I get that ziptie on that rudder cable guide? Do I remove the tail feathers and try to do something through the HS counterweight hole? Or is my only option to go into the cone, essentially all the way to the tail bulkhead?

I got as far as routing the cable and putting on loose zipties... but i?m not sure if i?ll actually fit too many body parts thru the last tailcone rib.

Page 7 here has a diagram: https://www.vansaircraft.com/service-information-and-revisions/42pis_12is/

Rob-

Ask around to find out if any of your friends have any really long hemostats. I picked up a big pair long ago that have a really long nose and have used them quite often. I have not done what you are trying to accomplish but I have used hemostats to install wire ties in tight places in the past.

The good thing about using a hemostat as opposed to pliers is they are thin giving you more maneuvering room and they will lock onto the wire tie so you won't have to worry about dropping the wire tie as you position it and maneuver the free end into the locking tab.

Happy building,

Last edited:
+1 on Hemostats

Harbor Freight sells a long-handled one very cheap ($5?). Has been very useful during my build.

+2 for super long hemostats.

I bought a pair from Harbor Freight and probably use them more than any other tool I have. They are especially good for holding a nut in a tight location until I can get a few threads in. Well worth the few $$$ I spent on them.

You can also use an inexpensive long reach "claw" tool.

s-l640.jpg

These are great for pulling wires through tight areas.

:cool:

Last edited:
I just went downstairs and measured the larger hole - it's 2" tall and 3" wide if that helps. If you have a smaller partner, or a child nearby they may be able to help (assuming you extract the counterweight).

I also noticed there's an existing hole in the rudder guide (next to the grommet already installed). It seems like using that rather than trying to drill a new hole would be simplest. I can feed my 90 degree drill through the smaller hole (where the rudder cable goes - I haven't installed my tail yet so this hole is empty) and feed it up next to that rudder guide bracket. The hard part is going to be judging the location on the bracket from the rear of the plane. Maybe two people can do it - one to run the drill and the other to help locate the bit correctly? Or it may be worth feeding a zip tie through the existing hole and see if that works.

I'm curious if anyone else has come up with a general solution to the issue Robert mentioned at the beginning: is there a technique for crawling back through the tail safely, without damaging the aluminum? If so can someone post a pointer.

I'm assuming the RV-12's tailcone is the least strong out of all of Van's planes. I'm 6'3" and 220 pounds. My wife is about half my weight. Besides bracing from the outside, any suggestions appreciated.

Folded moving blankets laid in the bottom of each bulkhead bay with some pieces of thin plywood laid on top will distribute the load enough so that skins do not get damaged.

Just make sure the tail is supported with some type of tail stand and that you don't put any heavy pressure on any of the bulkheads.

You might also want to have someone standing by on the outside - just in case.

It is a tightly confined space and things do happen...

Back