What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

System32 first flights

rcpaisley

Well Known Member
Full System32 kits have only been shipping since last Spring. Amazingly more than 40 System32 equipped planes are flying already (there were a lot of upgrades from the old system - these installs were finished very quickly). 82 Systems have gone out the door to date. We still have a lot more to get out to get lead times back to normal - but we're making good progress.

Mike Collins upgraded his RV-7 from the old electronics to System32 and recently got the bird back into the air with the new parts. Below are some pics from Mike.

Comments from Mike:
“I recently upgraded from the legacy EFII system to System 32. From the much simpler setup, to the much nicer programmer display, all I can say is it’s phenomenal. My engine runs as smooth as a turbine and starts as easily as a car. Robert’s customer support is second to none.” Mike Collins

"I had a chance to play with the fuel trim yesterday, and got all 4 cylinders to peak almost exactly together. I’m really happy I upgraded to System 32!" Mike Collins

Collins1.jpg

Collins2.jpg

Collins3.jpg

You can see our Port Mount Injectors in this pic. With this injector set up each injector has a continuous supply of cold fuel available without flow restriction (just like your car). Each injector is cooled on one end by the cool fuel in the fuel rail and on the other end by the induction air (again - just like your car).

Last edited:
Fuel System

With this injector set up each injector has a continuous supply of cold fuel available without flow restriction (just like your car). Each injector is cooled on one end by the cool fuel in the fuel rail and on the other end by the induction air (again - just like your car).

Except most cars made in the last 15 - 20 years have return-less fuel systems to reduce evaporative emissions...

Skylor

Return lines

This can be done in the aircraft application as well with a vented header tank.
There is a drawing for this in the System32 install manual (Drawing 2).

Robert

Except most cars made in the last 15 - 20 years have return-less fuel systems to reduce evaporative emissions...

Skylor

EFII RV-14A

Jeff Jones recently got his System32 equipped RV-14A into the air.
Here are a couple of pics:

This sure is a nice looking bird! This plane has a Lycoming IO-390 engine with full System32 engine management.
Jeff_Jones1.gif

Jeff has a nicely outfitted panel:
Jeff_Jones2.gif

Jeff had an interesting engine problem after first start. Pickling oil was working its way out of the engine and fouling his lower spark plugs. A couple of good hard run-ups finally cleared the engine.
* Update on this issue * Engine oil may have been coming in to the combustion area through rings that hadn't seated yet. In any case, a hard ground run cleared up the spark plug oiling.

“Once we got past the problem of spark plug fowling from the pickling oil, the EFII system has run flawlessly. My confidence in the system is so high that after a couple of hours of circling airports I was ready to head east from Denver over the empty plains of Colorado where the only place to land is a plowed field. This is the smoothest Lycoming I have ever flown.”
Jeffery E. Jones
RV- 14A

Last edited:
Back