What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Less expensive GPS WAAS in future?

mchargmg

Well Known Member
Hey all,

With the ADSB requirement coming and the recent movement in changing the certification requirements, I wondered if anyone had heard any rumblings about less expensive certified GPS/WAAS units?

Right now I find the Freefligh Model 1201 for about $3k, still pretty pricey. Just wondering what others were hearing.

cheers

Geoff

For ADS-B and another six years until the mandate I wouldn't jump unless you really want a certified WAAS ADS-B out unit now. Seems to me even a cheap WAAS uncertified unit is plenty precise for the few people that have ADS-B in now. I expect there will be plenty of choices prior 2020.

Agreed, you're never ahead buying technology too soon. Products will get better and cheaper over the next six years.

Mark

Navworx web site just announced that they had gotten the TSOs on their UAT offering. Price difference between the box with the certified gps and the one with the uncertified gps is $1200. I do not believe they are selling the gps as a stand-alone, though.

Back