What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SB 18-03-06 Throttle return spring replacement tip

John-G

Well Known Member
I was going through some photos and discovered I forgot to post about a slick trick I used to install the new throttle lever return springs.

Last fall during my condition inspection I completed Service bulletin 18-03-03 ... replacement of the carburetor's throttle lever return spring with the new helical torsion spring. Yes, I know I'm late to the party on this one.

Anyway, thought I would pass along a slick trick I discovered making instillation of the helical torsion springs easier for those who have not yet replaced the throttle lever return springs ... or for those who are disassembling the carbs for inspection.

When trying to tension the spring during reassembly, all my spring tools didn't seem to have enough clearance and I was fearful of leaving scratches on the spring if I used a small screwdriver, so I decided to try using a piece of waxed cord to tension the spring ... it worked great!!! Below are a couple of photos that show how I used the waxed cord to install the new throttle lever return springs.

The first photo shows how the outboard end of the spring is positioned on the throttle stop and the waxed string is looped around the inboard portion of the spring ... ready to be pulled on to tension the spring. The second photo shows the string being pulled to tension the spring just enough so the inboard portion of the spring can slide under the head of the Philips used to capture the inboard portion of the spring. The waxed string made it easy to apply tension to the spring so it could be slid under the head of the Philips screw ... a piece of cake.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-oWki99JvkEs/XrLVrOzcggI/AAAAAAAANWI/xl0KxIac9_YM1A5ygUSf2uu4MNSlj_a7wCLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/DSC03801.JPG

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ADCFF7Jvfec/XrLWB5v-LhI/AAAAAAAANWQ/4Mj6naBqeBogKUDIr_xYBnuwo1y2eAeqgCLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/DSC03802.JPG

Hope others find this tip helpful.

Happy flying,

Last edited:
Thanks for the hint. BTW, the other spring in the photo is getting rusty.
A coat of grease will prolong its life.

Back