What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Therm-X De-Icing Now Available For Van's RV-10

Nice

Of course its only part of a solution if one wanted to fly in actual icing conditions..I.e you would then need to deice the prop, tank vents winsheild, horizontal stab.

But it is part of a solution that didn't exist before..Cool!

Makes me almost want to build a 10..almost..:)..In fact I had better not tell my Wife or I'll be breaking out the rivet gun!

Frank

Sounds great....... NOT! :eek:

For the life of me I can see it just encouraging someone to push a bit harder thinking "She'll be right" and killing themselves and a few others!

As mentioned already above, its only part of the package. Does a Q400 in Buffalo ring any bells...:mad:

You guys have worse cold weather than we do down under, but you have things like XM weather etc.....there is NO EXCUSE for getting caught out if you follow the rules and hence no need for de-ice in an experimental plane.

Sure some will argue till they are blue in the face its really cool...... but at the end of the day its a really cool way to follow Buddy Holly and the Big Boppa to a chilly death!

DB:cool:

Looks like a nice addition if you wanted it. That's why it's called experimental aviation, because you can experiment. Build your airplane, your way not the way some body thinks you should!

Thanks for posting

I get your point. However the Q crash was due to the CA's poor reaction to a stall vs the ice on the aircraft.

very true........ but it is certified for flight into known icing conditions, has props tail etc protected and they still managed to ICE UP!

Best not to get in the situation where you have to rely on superior flying talents due to lack of superior fying planning!

Yes its experimental.........and more power to you, but it is inviting trouble!

One thing pilots can do to avoid getting into IMC is not trying to get to the destination in a hurry. When I see a big black cloud in front of me and can't find a route to go around it, I land and wait it out. Regardless of season.

BTW. I think the therm-x system includes deicing the horizontal and vertical tail.

Last edited:
If you need to avoid weather just climb higher

100_3090.JPG

I get your point. However the Q crash was due to the CA's poor reaction to a stall vs the ice on the aircraft.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but much of the discussion of that incident suggests that the airplane stalled because of ice on the wings, not poor attention to airspeed. Poor reaction or not, the person was "not expecting" a stall in the first place because they were "flying the right speed."

Now, I'm not one to stop people from doing something dangerous if they really, really want to. I'll just say that as an ex-fighter jock my personal opinion is that there is no peace-time mission which requires me to fly into known icing or thunderstorms - and I rate them equally.

I always wonder about that. What kind of deicing gear do fighters have?

Speed and pitot heat. I was once (long, long ago in a land far, far away....:D) one of several F-16 pilots who were shooting GCA approaches into Shaw AFB in freezing conditions. It was clear above 3000 feet and celilings were about 300 feet. After getting vectored around in the soup for a few minutes the canopy would ice over and when we broke out on short final we couldn't see the runway due to the canopy ice. Thought we were going to have to divert until someone discovered that above 300 knots the ice would not form on the canopy. Made for a some tricky configuration changes on short final, but we all made it down.

Two things I will not mess with in my RV: ice and thunderstorms.

ThermX experience

I installed the RDD ThermX system on my RV14A. I wired the 70 V alternator to provide 12V ships power backup when not being used for deice. I also installed a heated prop, heated pitot, and windscreen deice.
I am currently building an RV10 and I am installing IDE expulsive deice on it. This system doesn't need the second alternator.
If someone wants more info on either my phone is 509-435-6588.
Norris Brown

Wow. Nice resurrection of a 12 yr old thread. I’d be very interested in your setup. Sounds like quite a lot of work to get all that in there.

Norris,

When did you install the RDD ThermX system on your 14? I've been told by RDD that isn't available anymore.

Also, very interested in the system you're putting on your 10.

I've had conversations with CAV - the makers of the TKS systems. They said if we got 30 or so committed buyers, they'd be willing to design a kit.

That’s not really how the market works. First you build it (and prove it) and then we buy it. I would believe they would have a hard time finding 30 people to financially commit to buying what will be an expensive and in depth to install product like a tks system without seeing at least one in the wild with a happy user.

Hats off to you guys pursuing this. No frigging way I’d put an anti-ice/de-ice system on my aircraft and purposely fly into known icing conditions unless it had been thoroughly tested to the same standards that standard certificated aircraft use. I do a lot of stupid, risky things, but this is a bridge too far for me. YMMV......

Last edited:
Latech15 and rdrcrmatt (Matt)
I installed the ThemX system on my RV14A in 2016 (first flight April 2017).
Give me a call and I'll fill in the details of the expulsive deice system on my RV10 and why I didn't install the ThermX on the 10. Too much to write here.
Phone any daytime 509-435-6588.

Norris,

When did you install the RDD ThermX system on your 14? I've been told by RDD that isn't available anymore.

Also, very interested in the system you're putting on your 10.

I've had conversations with CAV - the makers of the TKS systems. They said if we got 30 or so committed buyers, they'd be willing to design a kit.

I am interested as well. Norris can you share some basic info here?

very true........ but it is certified for flight into known icing conditions, has props tail etc protected and they still managed to ICE UP!

Best not to get in the situation where you have to rely on superior flying talents due to lack of superior fying planning!

Yes its experimental.........and more power to you, but it is inviting trouble!

Actually ice was not a factor in the crash and there was not enough ice to aerodynamically effect the aircraft. The aircraft stalled almost exactly at the published stall speed. Leaving the power at idle after extending the gear and flaps allowed the aircraft to decelerate to stall speed and the recovery was botched by both pilots.

“The airplane performance study and simulations showed that the airplane experienced minimal performance degradation because of ice accretion. Specifically, the AOA at the time of the wing stall was about 1° above the expected AOA for a clean wing (no ice accretion) stall warning. Thus, the airplane could have been operated in normal flight, at the non-icing Vref, and with a substantial margin remaining above the actual point of stall. As a result, the NTSB concludes that the minimal aircraft performance degradation resulting from ice accumulation did not affect the flight crew’s ability to fly and control the airplane.”

https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Reports/AAR1001.pdf

Last edited:
Back