What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Completed practice kit

SeanM

I got the practice airfoil kit all finished up. I didn't even have to drill out a single rivet! (j/k). Building the kit was a really great experience and I was really glad I had taken the EAA workshop sheet metal class. It was also really fun to try things that I had read about but hadn't had a chance to do up until now (removing vinyl coat with soldering iron for instance).

These were the harder parts of the practice kit for me:
  1. Countersinking trailing edge wedge
    I didn't have a drill press like the instructions call for, so I used my air drill and ran into some bit chattering issues. I now have a drill press and it helped a ton here (slow and easy does it).

2. Riveting near trailing edge
    I didn't recall running into this in the sportair workshop. I tried indirect riviting but it always turned out slaneted and sloppy. I ordered a no-hole yoke and was able to squeeze it with that (even that was a really tight fit though). For the rivet on the otherside at the advice of many folks on this board I cheated with two MK319BS.

3. Rolling leading edges
    Two things I would do differently here. I forgot to use the edge forming tool on the leading edge. I also didn't bend the leading edges to 90 degrees, so it took LOTS of hand forming. In retrospect I should have just re-rolled them further (or bent them to near 90 to begin with).

One question on my mind- Do folks also use the edge forming tool on the trailing edges that get double flush riveted to the wedge?

I need to build another EAA1000 workbench (this will be the forth one I build) and I'm just starting on the vans toolbox. I also need to start getting connected up to a tech counselor soon, ordering the rv-10 empennage next month.

7zCPRbQ.jpg

HnC6Lgd.jpg

That's really nice work. I beat mine to death. I had dents and scratches all over mine. But I didn't take the class, I was self taught. That was a year and a half ago, now I'm finishing up my fuselage and about to get the finishing kit. It goes fast! Good luck.

I made two; the first one was on my own, and the second was in a class. The first was ok; put one dent in it. The second was terrible; I was so embarrassed in the class. "I do good work - really I do! Look at my website!" It was wierd working with old shop-worn tools, but they weren't at fault; my head wasn't in the game. Ended up putting an identical dent in it, and my trailing edge had to be redone. Neither piece looked anywhere near as good as this one. You should be proud.

On your next bench you might consider an overhang of about 2 inches on at least one edge. It will come in very handy for clamping parts. It's a lot easier to do a nice job of drilling and riveting if you're not chasing the smaller assemblies around the top of the bench.

Looks great! now drill it all apart and do it again........you will need rivet drilling out practice :rolleyes:

On your next bench you might consider an overhang of about 2 inches on at least one edge. It will come in very handy for clamping parts. It's a lot easier to do a nice job of drilling and riveting if you're not chasing the smaller assemblies around the top of the bench.

This is spectacular advice! I find myself clamping something almost every day and I have to use a big ole' clamp to straddle the table top and its support.

Really nice work on the kit!

Really glad you posted this, the sheet metal work is my primary concern, while I'm experienced building things I've never worked with rivets.

I scheduled this class for March 25th, didn't know it existed.

Big thanks!!!

when taking the class, its not a competition go slow at your pace and learn as you go..

I made the mistake of trying to keep up with others and really messed my parts up, no need to finish during the class its yours to take home!!

as for the OP great job I hope your success continues with your build!!

what bird are you building and where?

Nice Job!

Now drill a couple holes in it, sign and date it with a Sharpie, and hang it on your shop wall.

Yeah take it from me you need to know how to drill out rivets.

I built a couple of these kits. I also built the tool box kit. I didn't think it was a useful though.

Got the toolbox assembled without too much trouble! I discovered that with some 2x4 and nails my Cleaveland Tight Fit Dimpling Fixture also works great as a hinge wire bending tool. It didn't require any heating of the wire either. (More pics below)

C4DajLq.jpg

On your next bench you might consider an overhang of about 2 inches on at least one edge. It will come in very handy for clamping parts...

Yeah this is something that I will definitely end up doing soon.

Really glad you posted this, the sheet metal work is my primary concern, while I'm experienced building things I've never worked with rivets.

I scheduled this class for March 25th, didn't know it existed.

Big thanks!!!

You won't be disappointed! I've been to 3 of their classes so far (sheet metal, composites, electronics) and have really enjoyed them.

when taking the class, its not a competition go slow at your pace and learn as you go..

+1 for taking your time. There was one really mangled up project in the class I took. Go slow when bending! It also goes without saying- ask questions if you are unsure before doing something.

H5rnjMC.jpg

4ZAN6lb.jpg

11Qc7MH.jpg

hXVw96W.jpg

surgery

what bret said. get out the tools and "extract" all the rivets and then put it all back together. my A & P teach said in class on night "we are doctors". enjoy the journey...I am!

One question on my mind- Do folks also use the edge forming tool on the trailing edges that get double flush riveted to the wedge?

Yes to your question about using edge forming tool on trailing edges with wedge. In RV10 instructions, it specifically calls it out.

Here's a post I found about making a tool for rolling the leading edge. Made one last night for my elevator rolled edges. I have full confidence this will work MUCH better than the PVC with pliers as it allows you to easily roll the edge to full 90 degree with the ratchets. Wish I saw this for my rudder. Would have made things a LOT easier!!

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=126571&highlight=leading+edge+roll

Back