What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Newark NJ info

togaflyer

Well Known Member
Im reaching out to the Van's clan. It looks like my son may transfer to Neward NJ this summer. He would be working out of the Newark Port. He is single, late 20's making decent money. Asking for recomendations for areas to live out there. He is moving from Los Angeles and knows little about that area.

Is it too late to chose another state? ;)

p.s. most folks move out of NJ once they finish working... kind of tells you something about the taxes & cost of living.

He is single, late 20's making decent money. Asking for recomendations for areas to live out there.

A decent studio in Midtown Manhattan would be his best bet. Easy commute to the port no need for a personal vehicle. Young man would love to live in the center of everything. :)

I'm seeing a lot of people his age moving to Jersey City. Hoboken is popular too. Both close to Newark.

NJ Locations

I second Hoboken and Jersey City. If he is OK with a short commute, he might want to look at Montclair.

All three are good, young places with a vibrant night life.

I will pass the info onto him. It's a promotion so he goes we're they send him. I read where Newark has a high crime rate and the taxes in Essex County are the highest in the state. Vlad, a studio apartment would work for him, but mom and dad need a guest room when they want to visit New York City. It will be like a rebate program for what his college cost us. What airport is best to fly into that area.

Airports for Newark

Best airport is Newark Liberty commercially - EWR.
if you're flying in yourself, the closest then would be Teterboro (KTEB)

Stepson lived in Hoboken for a number of years. We visited once, & I really liked the area he was in. I'm from MS. I loved NY, and Hoboken had more of a small town vibe which was nice after being in the city all day.

I visited a friend in Asbury Park & it was nice at the time, but that was 30 years ago. No idea what it's like now, but I hear that you can still run into Springsteen....

Charlie

NJ buddy of mine is a shore guy. About same age as the boss, a teenager in an older body. Before a storm with surf up he goes out with surfboard chasing a fleeting endless summer set.

Notices another surfer walk up near him, both looking only at the waves. My buddy gives up, seeing the violence of the sets and says Sgt Hulka's famous line from "Stripes".

The other surfer cackles in a familar growl and accent that he was happy my buddy chickened out first, as Mr Springsteen was only gonna get wet if my buddy went first.

Hoboken is great for younger folks - great nightlife. I live in Bergen County... its too **** expensive up here. I imagine taxes here are the highest in the state, not Essex.

Hoboken is beyond a doubt the best place for a young single person in the area. I lived in both Jersey City and Hoboken when I was single. Jersey City is nice but only in certain areas, mostly near the river. The pro's are its proximity to the city, easy access via the path train or ferry and the nice new high rises with incredible views and amenities. Cons would be if you walk two blocks in the wrong direction it's a VERY BAD neighborhood. also I thought it was a little quiet as far as nightlife. I found myself taking the monorail to Hoboken for nightlife and dating. Hoboken has endless amounts of great restaurants and bars all within walking distance, easy access to the city via the path train or ferry and so many young people you feel like you're on a college campus. Mostly young professionals commuting to the city and single Airline pilots trying to relive their youth. The cons are it's pricy for something nice. If I remember correctly almost 10 years ago I was spending $2500 a month for a 1 bedroom apartment. I had an elevator, parking, and a water view, which brings me to the next con which is parking. I have never been to a more difficult place to find parking. If he moves to Hoboken make sure he has parking or gets into a parking garage, which can be a few hundred a month. Just make sure he does his research, there are some wonderful places to live in the area and many not so wonderful. Good luck.

Dave

Hoboken is definitely a good choice for someone his age. Another option is Harrison - they are revitalizing the area around the Path Station with newer condos, restaurants, Red Bull soccer stadium... Path trains easily get him to the city without the cost of living there.

Back