What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oshkosh 2016 VFR Approach Video

Great video! So much more intense than my arrival Saturday. Got to appreciate these controllers!

Gartin VIRB

I use the Garmin VIRB with the integrated GPS and WiFi control. The VIRB video editing software comes preloaded with a bunch of different overlays (it's get the data from the GPX file that the camera creates along with the video). And it easily allows you to edit and post to YouTube.

-Matt

Oshkosh Arrival

Excellent. I landed Sunday a little after lunch and it was similar. Nice audio.

I am so glad Sunday wasn't my first time landing at KOSH. That was the most saturated flying environment, reminiscent of a WW1 dog fight.

I use the Garmin VIRB with the integrated GPS and WiFi control. The VIRB video editing software comes preloaded with a bunch of different overlays (it's get the data from the GPX file that the camera creates along with the video). And it easily allows you to edit and post to YouTube.

-Matt

Thanks! I may have to pick one up.

I had a gut feeling Sunday would be a free-for-all and planned on Saturday afternoon arrival. Then the weather simply funneled everyone into a half-day for arrivals and it got pretty western. I was sitting in a lawn chair on the edge of 18/36 watching the show and was quite happy I was on the ground and not in the air.

Nice video & excellent job maintaining altitude and airspeed. You handled it like a pro. I watched a lot of it from the ground and not so sure I would've been as disciplined.

Very cool with the ATC audio

We came in Saturday and it was still busy, but how do you get the ATC audio into the camera video?

Garmin Audio

Garmin sells a cable with one end that plugs into your intercom and another that plugs into the mini-USB on the back of the intercom.

It was a pretty sporty arrival. I had two guys turn into the arrival stream ahead of me after I was already past Ripon. But they must have been going fast because they got out ahead of me past 1/2 mile.

I was about to give up on the downwind and turn out since I couldn't start may base leg inside the shoreline (there were three aircraft on final over the water) when the controller told me to keep turning base. I was able to neatly fit in ahead of the TBM. That controller was on top of things!

It was fun, but I may plan for a Saturday arrival next year.

-Matt
N402BD

Garmin sells a cable with one end that plugs into your intercom and another that plugs into the mini-USB on the back of the intercom.

It was a pretty sporty arrival. I had two guys turn into the arrival stream ahead of me after I was already past Ripon. But they must have been going fast because they got out ahead of me past 1/2 mile.

I was about to give up on the downwind and turn out since I couldn't start may base leg inside the shoreline (there were three aircraft on final over the water) when the controller told me to keep turning base. I was able to neatly fit in ahead of the TBM. That controller was on top of things!

It was fun, but I may plan for a Saturday arrival next year.

-Matt
N402BD
Great piloting job Matt! Madness all around, and an ice cube under the headset.

I noticed he did turn you in between on final, then said to land long. You did a great job, and as busy as it was, I did not see but one other plane on the vid. A cessna on final as you passed the lake edge.

Again - great job. Kinda like a busy day on instrument approach with 400 ft ceilings into Houston Hobby.

Ohhhhh... Sunday

My first time flying into KOSH... Talk about trial by fire!! We were wheels up from Mitchel, SD at 6 am, thought we'd be on the ground by 8:30 ahead of the rush. The weather and the gear up landing had other plans for us... Three landings later, we were in the mess coming in around 3pm... Total chaos!

Won't bother with the full description, but the funniest thing we saw, was two high wings in front of us for 27 as we were on base, Gulf Stream coming in on an IFR arrival, tower trying to get the high wings to go around so the Gulf Stream could get in... First high wing got the call and went around, yellow high wing stayed on final as I'm on base watching a Gulf Stream rapidly approaching. Thought I was about to see an accident... Finally the yellow high wing pulls up, the gulf steam goes under and lands... Then tower is like"ok yellow high wing, continue to the green dot".... All I could think was that anywhere else in the world, that would have resulted on some serious FAA intervention... At KOSH, no paint was swapped so it's business as usual!!

Back