What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Maintenance Entry?

AndyRV7

Well Known Member
Hi, I rebuilt the Matco cylinders in my RV-7 over the weekend with the help of an A&P. Do I need to make an entry in the aircraft logs for this work?

Thanks! Andy

I would think that you should. I expect that someone who follows you in ownership would want to know the work you did on the plane. Plus, by having it logged would give some creditability to the value of your plane.
Remember to log it back to flying status.
Dave

What Dave said, pus if it isn't in the logbook it didn't happen. In future you might also want to know when it was that you last changed that tire, etc. Log it.

You enter in the log book that the aircraft has been approved to fly again. If you have the repairmens certificate for your plane you do it. If you do not then I believe a IA must do it.

It is the same type of situation for the annual inspection. If you have the repairmen certificate then you approve the inspection and the return to service, if not then an IA must do the inspection and approve the return to service.

I believe I am correct. Almost positive.:)

Dave

You enter in the log book that the aircraft has been approved to fly again. If you have the repairmens certificate for your plane you do it. If you do not then I believe a IA must do it.

It is the same type of situation for the annual inspection. If you have the repairmen certificate then you approve the inspection and the return to service, if not then an IA must do the inspection and approve the return to service.

Dave

Let me introduce you to Walt...

Walt, Go... :)

Before Walt.....

Anyone may work on an EAB airplane. No license needed.
The once a year condition inspection may be done by the holder of a repairman certificate for that airplane; or by an A&P (no IA needed).

Dave

Repairman certificate is only required to perform the condition inspection on an EAB aircraft. Anyone can perform maintenance and/or modifications to EAB aircraft.
IA is not required for any sign-offs for EAB aircraft.
Annual condition inspection must be done by the certificated repairman for that aircraft or A&P mechanic.

In addition to the above, an experimental aircraft only needs a "approved for service" type statement after a conditon inspection.
(a certified aircraft needs an approval for return to service after an annual inspection, major repair or major alteration).

Basically the aircraft was never "out of service" so it doesn't need to be "returned to service".

When accomplishing a repair or maintenance you only need to sign for the work you performed and that you performed a functional check of the sytem. Something like "repaired so and so, ops checked good", "changed oil and filter, leak checked good" etc. or a similarly worded statement is all that is required.

Last edited:
Back