What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

It feels smooth but I thought it would be a good idea to check it...

Walt

Well Known Member
That's a common theme I hear when balancing props. Here's an example of what the owner thought was a smooth running machine. Vibration was approaching dangerously high levels.
The red circle represents the upper limit of 0.2 IPS, this one was at .758 IPS! (Finished at 0.040 IPS).

Moring%252C%2520WW%2520prop.png

Last edited:
Wow....there are many pilots that have never flown an aircraft that runs as smooth as it should and has a prop that is correctly balanced, so it may be hard to tell what is normal for some.

I like the data logging feature of that balancer, what is the make and model. I have an first generation DynaVibe. It is pretty crude, but does an OK job for low volume usage.

I have had the prop dynamically balanced on every airplane I've owned. I consider it a "must do" on every build. Although my RV-12 didn't require any weights, my Rocket was made significantly better after balancing.

I like the data logging feature of that balancer, what is the make and model. I have an first generation DynaVibe. It is pretty crude, but does an OK job for low volume usage.

I use the Dynamic Solution Systems MicroVib II, it's an excellent unit with lots of great features. The software package is an important feature (for me) as it allows you to capture, store and print records, log entries etc..

Awesome

Way to go Walt.....that picture said more than an entire article could have! Thanks for posting this:)

That's a common theme I hear when balancing props.

I had the opposite experience.... It feels rough, so I thought it would be a good idea to check it...

The check showed it to be 0.06 IPS. I am considering having it done again to double check the first test....

I had the opposite experience.... It feels rough, so I thought it would be a good idea to check it...

The check showed it to be 0.06 IPS. I am considering having it done again to double check the first test....

That is where the spectrum analysis can come in handy, our bodies are the most sensitive to the lower freq vibrations so looking at the 1/2 order vibs can reveal vibrations you may feel.

The 1/2 order and and 1.5 order vibs are indicative of cylinder gas pressures, so a cylinder that is not producing as much pressure as the others for whatever reason will show a high vibration in that area. Causes could be ignition, fuel, compression standard things..

RV8%2520Dalham1.jpg

Last edited:
Walt, I wish I was just a little closer, I would ask that you do my prop. Anyone in the Atlanta area do this? What is the average cost?

Back