What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hidden Valley Airpark

s10sakota

Well Known Member
Does anyone here live at Hidden Valley Airpark? I'm looking to move to the Dallas area within about a year and I've been looking for airparks.

I have an almost impossible requirement though (as I hate driving places) where I want to be relatively close to DFW airport, but also about 5 minutes from Wal-Mart, a gym, grocery store, Home Depot etc...

Hidden Valley Airpark seems to meet those requirements so I thought I'd send out some 'feelers' here to get any info I can. Is it a busy airpark? Are there lots of RV's (the flying kind) based there? How do you like it? :)

Hidden valley airpark

I now live at hidden valley airpark. We are about 25 to 30 min to dfw. Several RV s in the airpark and several more Under construction. We only have about 10 to 12 lots remaining. Great quiet place to be. Great community lots of activity. I have been here for 12 mos now and am very pleased with airpark. Let me know if I can provide info. For lot tours, J R Mosier is your point of contact. His info can be found on hidden valley website. . Bob

Hidden Valley

First of all, I love Hidden Valley and wish I lived there. I was in your shoes last spring, just starting to look at relocating to the Dallas area. We found a great house at Hidden Valley, but we ended up not buying. Here's why... in a word, traffic.

We were moving to Dallas with my wife's job which takes her to downtown Dallas everyday. I-35E sucks. Bad. We tried everything to figure out a way to make it work, off hours commute (ok early a.m., not ok after about 4pm), DART train, etc. Of course there are lots of people who do it everyday, but it soon became obvious that it just wouldn't work for us.

Since you mentioned a concern about driving in the area, I'd say it might be tolerable two or three times a week, but everyday would likely become miserable. I don't know what the drive time to DFW would be via I-35W, rather than I-35E, but that might help. I just suggest, before buying a house, going there and trying both routes at the times you would likely be driving.

Obviously, this was just my experience with the specific considerations of our family. If it works for you, I didn't see much to dislike about Hidden Valley itself...beautiful place, good amenities, and some great airplane people. Good luck with the move!

Tom thanks for the information. Were you driving to the city of Dallas or KDFW airport? I only need to go to the airport once a week. So even if the drive is 30-40 minutes, that's not too bad.

My concern right now is "can I afford to live there?"

The website says the houses range from $300K to $1,000,000. I'd be comfortable on the way low end of that. I need to find out what the taxes are like in that area also.

If I'm living in a neighborhood of million dollar homes, then I probably can't afford the taxes in that area. That's the stuff I have to find out! :)

Tom thanks for the information. Were you driving to the city of Dallas or KDFW airport? I only need to go to the airport once a week. So even if the drive is 30-40 minutes, that's not too bad.

The website says the houses range from $300K to $1,000,000. I'd be comfortable on the way low end of that. I need to find out what the taxes are like in that area also.

If I'm living in a neighborhood of million dollar homes, then I probably can't afford the taxes in that area. That's the stuff I have to find out! :)

Mark,

I also looked at Hidden Valley and it's a great place however from a cost standpoint it just does not compare to Pecan Plantation. Outstanding amenities and much lower taxes at Pecan. Ten minutes to the places you listed. About an hour to DFW but if it's just once a week you just can't beat Pecan.

Pecan Plantation is very nice indeed, and the prices are excellent. But it is just too far from KDFW and shopping for me. Looking at Google Earth and comparing PP to the closest Wal-Mart, it looks like a considerable drive.

One of these days I will rent a car in Dallas and drive around and really get a feel for where these airparks are located.

Although I would prefer an airpark, I could do a hangar/home. In fact, I almost bought a hangar/home at Hicks last December but it didn't work out.

The thing that really attract me to Hidden Valley is the location. It's just so close to everything!

Mike-it didn't work out because of money. In 2013 I went from a senior regional airline Captain to a new hire F.O. at Spirit.

I went from 100K+ to less than poverty over night! I just couldn't get a loan at the time even though I was paying over 1/3 of the price in cash.

A lot has changed in the last year and now I'm only 5 months away from upgrade at Spirit. I 'think' I can afford to move now...:D

For a $500K house plan on ~$12K per year property and school taxes. Also, not sure what the cost of water is there but I have to pay about $400.month for water Jun-Sep. Insureance can also be high due to the frequent Hail damage to roofs. Figure around $2-3K per year. Don't forget Electric bills for a/c -- ~$300/month. Without the mortgage, figure on about $1,520/month without HOA fees.

For comparison, the property taxes for a $500K house near Pittsuburgh was $3,000 a year. Trade no income tax for higher propoerty taxes in Texas.

TJ

TJ-thanks for the great info! I've made my decision....I won't be moving to Hidden Valley LOL!

My total tax bill here in Michigan is about $1,600/yr. Water is about $300/yr. I'm 7 miles from my airplane, and about 5 miles from KDTW.

Looks like I'll be staying put for a while. Wow-I just saved $15,000/yr. Now I can fly an additional 333 hours in the Cherokee this year! ;)

TJ-thanks for the great info! I've made my decision....I won't be moving to Hidden Valley LOL!

My total tax bill here in Michigan is about $1,600/yr. Water is about $300/yr. I'm 7 miles from my airplane, and about 5 miles from KDTW.

Looks like I'll be staying put for a while. Wow-I just saved $15,000/yr. Now I can fly an additional 333 hours in the Cherokee this year! ;)

Didn't mean to scare you off:)

Once I retire and my income drops we will be moving to a state with lower property taxes -- This means income tax usually but a number also exempt a good portion of your retirement income. We like Texas and having no income tax works for us now and offsets the higher property tax costs but not in the future.

TJ

HAHA ya I ran for the hills what I read your numbers! It's not so much that it's impossible to afford, it's just that I see no reason to pay that much money in taxes.

I know property taxes are higher in states with no income tax (they gotta get you somehow!) but that's ridiculous!

Maybe Pecan Plantation isn't sounding so far away anymore...

Back