- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Regional Forums > Canada
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7 To Go View Post
There is a post on VAF about someone installing a Tailbeacon (US version) in the wingtip. They said it worked fine. At 105 mm high it looks like this one will fit in the tip as well. The light can be turned off in the programming. Just food for thought. Certainly not inexpensive but it does incorporate a mode S transponder etc, so may be good for someone who doesn't have one....or sell the one you have to help mitigate the cost. FWIW.
I remember reading about that tailbeacon installed in the wingtip. First thing I thought was why would anyone want to pay $1800 for a tailbeacon when they could have paid $1300 for an EchoUAT with -IN also at way less cost
RV-8 N52VM: OnSpeed Gen2 AOA-3D, Dynon D-180, Autopilot, Titan 0-360A1A, Hartzell C/S, INS-429 IFR & GPS496, WingX & Stratux for backup & ADS-B IN. Enjoying life while building a FREE campsite for pilots www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.
Old 03-14-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot135pd View Post
You also didnít have to shell out $3500 for it.
Not really relevant. Someone implied that you "had to" lose your tail beacon if you install a tailBeaconX. I was merely offering that there are other locations for tail beacons.
Old 03-14-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
Not really relevant. Someone implied that you "had to" lose your tail beacon if you install a tailBeaconX. I was merely offering that there are other locations for tail beacons.
The relevancy is that when it comes time to pay $3500 for it, there are other options. In your case you were lucky enough not to have to worry about paying for it so it's easier for you to only have to consider other installation locations.
RV-8 N52VM: OnSpeed Gen2 AOA-3D, Dynon D-180, Autopilot, Titan 0-360A1A, Hartzell C/S, INS-429 IFR & GPS496, WingX & Stratux for backup & ADS-B IN. Enjoying life while building a FREE campsite for pilots www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/

Old 03-14-2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
The relevancy is that when it comes time to pay $3500 for it, there are other options. In your case you were lucky enough not to have to worry about paying for it so it's easier for you to only have to consider other installation locations.
Our Canadian dilemma is that we could put in a more economical UAT (978) offering now to comply with the US 2020 mandate, but eventually would have to rip it out to comply with Canada's version of ADS-B which calls for 1090ES & diversity antennas, be it as it will be.
Uavionix is the first to offer a reasonable solution addressing the Canadian ADS-B criteria. Maybe others will follow. So currently, there really are no other options for Canadians if they don't want to upgrade to ADS-B twice..

Thanks Snowflake- for sharing your experience & observations on this.

Last edited by Ralph Inkster : 03-14-2020 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-14-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
I guess that was me :-).

I did consider moving my tail position/strobe and I suppose it's not that difficult. Your location on the top of the vertical stabilizer might not work on a 9 as the rudder extends forward of the hinge line on the top. Not a lot of vertical stab at the top. I thought about bringing it down a little and mounting it under the rudder.

Bottom line is the bottom line is spendy. Yeah, I'd end up with a Mode S transponder to sell but I think it's money better spent on an IFR upgrade.
RV-9A #91081, C-GCPT
Dynon SkyView HDX, IO-320 and WW 200RV C/S. Flying as of August 6, 2018

Interactive map of all of my flights here
Old 03-14-2020, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Inkster View Post
Our Canadian dilemma is that we could put in a more economical UAT (978) offering now to comply with the US 2020 mandate, but eventually would have to rip it out to comply with Canada's version of ADS-B which calls for 1090ES & diversity antennas, be it as it will be.
Uavionix is the first to offer a reasonable product that addresses the Canadian ADS-B criteria. Maybe others will follow. So currently, there really are no other options for Canadians right now.

Thanks Snowflake- for sharing your experience & observations on this.
You guys up there have at least 3 years to go so if history has taught us anything is that there will be changes and more offerings by then.

Old 03-14-2020, 12:16 PM

Maybe the light will eventually be offered as a strobe too. who knows
Old 03-14-2020, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Canuck View Post
Bottom line is the bottom line is spendy. Yeah, I'd end up with a Mode S transponder to sell but I think it's money better spent on an IFR upgrade.
Bingo ! If I install itíll be the EchoUAT. If I ever need more then Iíll sell the Echo, there will always be someone needing one.

Old 03-15-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:
The relevancy is that when it comes time to pay $3500 for it, there are other options.
This is true. But what I paid, or didn't pay, for it is irrelevant.

Quote:
In your case you were lucky enough not to have to worry about paying for it so it's easier for you to only have to consider other installation locations.
Cheaper, yes. Easier, no. The difficulty of installation doesn't change with what I paid, or didn't pay, for it.
Old 03-15-2020, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Canuck View Post
Your location on the top of the vertical stabilizer might not work on a 9 as the rudder extends forward of the hinge line on the top. Not a lot of vertical stab at the top. I thought about bringing it down a little and mounting it under the rudder.
That's a good point, the rudder on the -6 isn't counterbalanced. My strobe sits far enough back on the tip of the vertical stab that the front of the tip on the vertical stab shields the cockpit from the strobing, too, and that would be harder with a counterbalanced rudder. What about mounting it in the tip of the rudder?

Still, despite all of the discussion on cost, I think the one failing on the tailBeaconX is that the antennas sticking out are just PCB material and they're unprotected. On a tailwheel model, that puts them well out of your line of sight when walking around the plane, and right in the line of fire if you're moving it with a tailwheel tow-bar and make a sharp turn. My early unit has a full plastic enclosure over the boards, but they elected to change it to an enclosure just over the main body before final production.

I like the idea of relocating it to the wingtip, I'll have to ask about disabling the light through software. There's no option in the normal setup screens to make that change.