- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2007, 07:00 AM

Default RV-8 Panel Review / Comments

I'm starting to acquire instruments and look harder at panel layout. The pictures below are my currently intended layout. I'm not too flexible on components at this point, but would appreciate comments on layout and design.

The compass on the right is a Precision vertical card compass. What kind of interference issues can I expect? The blanks are for unknown upgrades. Space is reserved for a larger radio stack if I ever decide to upgrade to IFR.

Far left switch is boost pump, next 3 are landing/taxi/wigwag lights. Then strobe and position lights. Bottom right switches are mags and starter. Above that is DC master, top right is emergency bus.

The rectangle at upper right is the ELT.

Flaps, trim, ap disconnect and PTT are on the stick.

Ignore the red stuff on the right edge of the panel. I didn't realize that I had a part selected when I captured the screen shot.

Thanks!
Guy

Two Kids: Built, Enjoying
RV-10, Bought, Rebuilt, Enjoying
Build / First Flight Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f9HXzZT1dE
Build Log: http://websites.expercraft.com/geprevo/

Arguing on the internet is like having a competition to see who can hit a brick wall the hardest. You may win, but you're still an idiot.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:31 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Default Two quick thoughts...

Hi Guy,

Two quick thoughts for you:

1) Make sure to check where the back of your "long radio" falls relative to the gear tower top cross brace. I had a heck of a time with my 430 because I put it in such a vertical spot as to interfere. Not saying you have a problem, just make sure to check before you cut.

2) Danny King taught me something about panel esthetics. He said that when people glance at a panel and pronounce it "pretty" or not, symmetry is important. This has nothing to do with functionality, just curb appeal.

OK, and the third, and probably most important comment is...it has to please YOU, not anyone else! You're the one that's going to be flying it, so in the end, don't worry what others say...

BTW, I went through many, many layouts (and equipment choices) before I got where I did.
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 04-17-2007, 08:05 AM

I like it! Looks kind of familiar.....

http://www.geocities.com/aggiepilot8...020507_004.jpg

Houston

Last edited by Low Pass : 04-17-2007 at 08:08 AM.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:09 AM

Hi Guy,

I am thinking along the same lines, but planning on both the d100 & d120. The GPS in the panel dock will be at the top of the radio stack (left) with the backup airspeed and altimeter on the right side. I had a pic of it somewhere but can't find it.

What program did you use for your image? That looks like a pretty useful tool.
Flying.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:20 AM

You could definitely get some compass interference from the auto pilot head. Also, you don't say what is directly beneath the compass.
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993, 172hp O-320, 3-Blade Catto (since 2003)Sold
Legend Cub purchased 12/2017
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Recipient of Wright Brothers "Master Pilot" Award
Old 04-17-2007, 09:02 AM

Directly beneath the compass is just a blank for future expansion. I could move the autopilot to that location. I could also move the compass to the side panels, but don't want to if I can make this work. FWIW, the autopilot is probably going to be a future item. I'm beginning to feel the real budgetary bite of the project and am guessing I'll want to hand-fly the plane for quite a while initially.

I currently have the inboard edges of the 2 1/4" cutouts at the edges lined up with the larger cutouts below them. I think I'll move them outboard a bit for asthetics. Paul's comment on symmetry got me thinking of that.

I'm using SolidWorks to model everything. It's fantastic software is someone else is buying it. I'm a mechanical engineer and design exo-atmospheric flight vehicles for a living. Solidworks / COSMOS are my design and analysis tools of choice.

G
Two Kids: Built, Enjoying
RV-10, Bought, Rebuilt, Enjoying
Build / First Flight Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f9HXzZT1dE
Build Log: http://websites.expercraft.com/geprevo/

Arguing on the internet is like having a competition to see who can hit a brick wall the hardest. You may win, but you're still an idiot.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:03 AM

Default Panel recommendations

On the RV-8, panel space is very limited. I would recommend that any switch/doodad that you don't need to fly the plane should go down on a sub-panel.

In my RV-8, I have several switches for lights, instrument lighting, dimming etc. that take up real estate. I also have a few circuit breakers on the panel. Lastly, my intercom is on there. I think all these really belong off the panel.

I didn't build my plane but after three years and over 400 flight hours on it, I have a short list of "better ideas".

I have had the front baggage door open in flight twice (once to me and once to a friend). I think it would be nice to have an idiot light on the panel that is illuminated if the baggage door is not locked.

I would also consider a cooling fan for the EFIS and also a windshield defogger (perhaps driven off the cooling fan).

Just my 0.02.

Regards,

Bruce
N297NW
RV-8 (427 hours)
Old 04-17-2007, 09:28 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Default One other thought...

I just realized Guy - you can't put something that close underneath the vertical card compass. There is a rectangular "box" under the circular portion of that type compass that houses the adjustment mechanism, and you need more clearance. I know because I didn't leave enough room and had already cut my panel when I figured this out....had to change to a regular old whiskey compass...which, quite frankly, I'd leave out completely next time. I've got two magnetometers and three GPS's. If I don't know which way the airplane is pointed in the air, a compass probably isn't going to help!

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 04-17-2007, 01:03 PM

Guy,

I'm right handed so I put my higher use gear requiring some dexterity for quick changes on the right side of the panel e.g. radio...but this can be controlled by a GRT EFIS so it may be a mute point for me, not sure about the other EFIS models. I left a blank under my central top GRT for a second at some other time otherwise I may have put my radio stack middle bottom.
Look for Danny Kings cockpit tour and you'll see how he uses his infinity stick which enlightened me and I now have my start switch on the stick grip with a start switch isolate button on the side panel.
Lots of options for sure.
Best

Chino, CA
RV8 sold...'til next time!
Sonerai 2L 'Restoration'
www.ustool.com
www.hstooling.com
Old 04-17-2007, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhflyit
Guy,

I'm right handed so I put my higher use gear requiring some dexterity for quick changes on the right side of the panel e.g. radio...but this can be controlled by a GRT EFIS so it may be a mute point for me, not sure about the other EFIS models. I left a blank under my central top GRT for a second at some other time otherwise I may have put my radio stack middle bottom.
Look for Danny Kings cockpit tour and you'll see how he uses his infinity stick which enlightened me and I now have my start switch on the stick grip with a start switch isolate button on the side panel.
Lots of options for sure.
Best
Not following you here. You're right handed, so don't you want the buttons and switches on the left side of the panel? Believe me, you don't want to be swapping hands all the time to tune the radios, etc. Absolutely a deal-killer for formation or critical flying.

Houston