- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-4
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2020, 09:28 AM

Default vacum removal

I am doing this right now. Do I need to remove the actual drive parts or just take the pump off?
Old 03-11-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Eves View Post
I am doing this right now. Do I need to remove the actual drive parts or just take the pump off?
based upon preference. The whole gear assembly is gone on the 6. On the 10, I left the gear assembly, as I may some day put a backup alternator there. If you pull the gear assembly, you will need to pull the long studs and replace with shorter ones or use bolts instead.

Larry
Old 03-11-2020, 07:50 PM

Default Or Just Pull the Right Magneto

Iíve replaced quite a few vacuum pumps and after struggling with crowfoot wrenches, ratcheting box wrenches, chisels, shovels, chainsaws, etc., a co-worker told me to cut my losses and just remove the right magneto.
After that, changing the vacuum pump is dead easy, and reinstalling the magneto only takes 15 minutes or so. Cheaper than buying the special wrench, too.
I replaced our right magneto with a Lightspeed Plasma III ignition system and that fixed that. As soon as The Crew Chief (wife!) approves it, weíll redo the instrument panel and sell that vacuum dinosaur thingy.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:11 PM

I have removed a few vacuum pumps & systems. I prefer to remove the drive assembly and set it aside for future use. Why leave it in the system with it's weight and wear and tear. I also extract the studs and replace them with short versions. If you leave the original studs you will need to fabricate some very long bushings. At that point you will have 4 more gotcha pylons in the way of your hands when you work on the back of the engine. I prefer short studs and clean access.
Old 03-12-2020, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jliltd View Post
I have removed a few vacuum pumps & systems. I prefer to remove the drive assembly and set it aside for future use. Why leave it in the system with it's weight and wear and tear. I also extract the studs and replace them with short versions. If you leave the original studs you will need to fabricate some very long bushings. At that point you will have 4 more gotcha pylons in the way of your hands when you work on the back of the engine. I prefer short studs and clean access.
Thereís a joke there somewhere😊. Currently going thru the decision process on this (replacing vacuum with G5ís). Decided to to leave the drive in place and use a cover plate. Two reasons: itís just easier, and, I like the idea of the direct drive B&C alternator next time my Denso goes down. Good to have options.
2019 =VAF= donor