What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cross country - land near St Louis?

sjhurlbut

Well Known Member
Planning a long x-country in 25 days from now. 1520nm one way.

Plan to land in Minot, ND for border customs and destination is Northwest Alabama - KMDL. Need to stop for fuel between those 2.

Was hoping to make it to KUCY - Union City, TN (stopped there 15 years ago and would be nostalgic) but its just too tight on gas.

Maybe somewhere around St Louis? That will have me airborne for about 3:45 depending on winds and leaves a nice short 1:15 to destination.

Any suggestions?

2 runways for wind would be nice - self serve fuel that doesn't ask me for a zip code?

I've landed at St. Louis Downtown (KCPS) a bunch of times, pretty friendly, nice FBO, crosswind runway but a bit short. Not sure of the issue with providing a zip code (?) Not sure if they offer self serve fuel - I always just had them fuel me with their trucks.

Nice

Sounds like a nice option.

I've had issues before since I'm Canadian. Insert credit card and asks me for zip code which I don't have

I usually arrived and departed from the east, and flew under the Class B. No flight following, easy in and out. Just get the ATIS and talk to the tower. No special procedures.

I've had issues before since I'm Canadian. Insert credit card and asks me for zip code which I don't have

I ran into this last year at Marion, OH and had to short hop to Delaware, OH to get fuel. Found out afterwards that if you are asked for a zip code you should enter the 3 digits from your postal code followed by 00. If your postal code (credit card billing address) is X1A 2B3, enter 12300. I haven't tried it, but I've seen it from multiple sources.

Consider Lees Summit at Kansas City, KLXT. It is not too far off your course. They have an active EAA chapter there. We stopped there one time with two rockets and they went out of there way to get us under cover and to find rooms for us. We all went out to dinner and had a great time.
Also the postal code thing works, 533000 for me our postal code is N5P3T3

Don?t know about zip code and self serve,.. but

Couple of alternatives with 2 runways,... roughly 80 miles further from St Louis

Cape Girardeau KCGI - shows good price on self serve, and not bad on full. There is a restaurant on the field,.. just a few steps from the FBO

Veterans Airport KMWA - just shows full service at higher price,...it is just slightly off track, and would fit with a north around St Louis. Can get courtesy car to run to restaurants a few miles away

Unfortunately, I wouldn't call St. Louis Downtown low cost anymore. We go to Perryville for fuel. We used to have two FBOs, but now with one $$$$.

Alton, IL- KALN- towered, crossing long runways with approaches, eats and hotels nearby. Corp hangar if needed. 5000' base of Class Bravo at STL, NE side.

Try Litchfield (3LF) Good fuel price, crossing runways, close to town.
About 40NM NE of STL
Or,
Moberly, (KMBY) about 100NM NW of STL, Always hospitable,cheap gas, courtesy car

Last edited:
I fly to columbia a lot (60 miles west of STL). This would avoid the Bravo issues. Long runway ILS approach and good FBO w semi-reasonable fuel. There is a also a field about 10 miles due east of columbia with very cheap fuel (I forget the name). Long runway, but no FBO. Mexico to the north has mogas cheap if that is of interest.

Larry

Last edited:
Fulton is east Columbia. Self serve fuel at good price and 2 runways. I was camped next to you at Oshkosh last summer and am based in Camdenton. If you stop by i have hangar space and transport. Lake of the Ozarks is a beautiful area.
Steve

Effingham

On my way back from Kansas last year I stopped in Effingham IL, 1H2 Nice little airport, two runways, very friendly and a nice airport dog named "Toby Dean"

Back