VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-10-2019, 05:49 PM

Default Canopy gas springs

Iím just 28 hours into Phase I and having trouble with the gas springs being unable to support the weight of the canopy. I ordered and just received replacements from Vans; but before i go to the trouble to install them, is anyone else having this trouble? Anyone used a different gas spring (stronger?) Never mind the wind blowing it shut; with temps below freezing it wonít stay up in the shelter of a hangar.

Iíve read that some replace the gas springs on their tip-up 7s and 7As every two years, so apparently they wear out. Mine are... new but useless. Would love to know what others are doing. Otherwise, Phase I is going very well, and the airplane flies like a dream! It is a tail dragger, which puts the canopy at a little more difficult angle to support than the A models.

Thanks.
Kit #140329
Old 02-10-2019, 06:27 PM

Default Struts

Don, scroll down on todayís post and you will find a thread titled
ďFound, cheaper source of canopy strutsĒ it explains what struts others are using.
Dues Paid
Old 02-10-2019, 07:05 PM

Default Got it

Yes, i read that, but i donít think they are the same as what are used on the RV-14 and 14A. Does anyone know? The ones I got from Vans are not a similar model #.
Kit #140329
Old 02-10-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don E View Post
Yes, i read that, but i donít think they are the same as what are used on the RV-14 and 14A. Does anyone know? The ones I got from Vans are not a similar model #.
They are not the same.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 02-10-2019, 07:32 PM

Default Thanks, Scott

What makes it more difficult is that the Stabilus website doesnít seem to list the gas springs i have, so i cannot assess whether or not thereis a stouter one in the same size. They donít seem to be the easiest bunch to connect with, either. Thanks for confirming they are different; iíll keep working it.
Kit #140329
Old 02-11-2019, 07:58 AM

Mine is a RV-14A, so I don't have the deck angle problem, but the original struts are going strong after 2 years. I leave my canopy in the open position in the hangar under the belief it reduces "wear" on the struts.

RV-14A Builder - kit #136, XP-400 Aero Sport Power
N314KC - First flight Mar 8, 2017, 24th in the air, >450 hrs
RV-6A sold
Sport Pilot (weight-shift control) - Airborne XT912
Dues paid 12/2018
Old 02-11-2019, 09:06 AM

Also, cold temp effect these just as any of them including those in the car. This is just in case that yours are fine but cold temp is effecting them.
Dues paid
Old 02-11-2019, 04:20 PM

Default Part of the story?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavafa View Post
Also, cold temp effect these just as any of them including those in the car. This is just in case that yours are fine but cold temp is effecting them.
Yes, I know the cold temps reduce their strength. Thatís why I hoped someone had addressed this issue. My canopy has made my RV-14 a two-person airplane just for one person to fly. The canopy needs support at all times if open below 30 degrees, and canít be left open in any breeze at all below 50 degrees or so. It doesnít seem right. In any case, it isnít acceptable to me, so i am on the hunt for a 400N gas spring of the same size... if there is one. The current ones are 350N, about 78 pounds, rated. Fifteen percent stronger would be about 90 pounds... Just be careful with them; it came down on my head and left hand over two weeks ago when i thought it would stay up, and my head and hand are both still healing. If itís just the cold, surely others must be experiencing similar issues.
Kit #140329
Old 02-11-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don E View Post
Yes, I know the cold temps reduce their strength. Thatís why I hoped someone had addressed this issue. My canopy has made my RV-14 a two-person airplane just for one person to fly. The canopy needs support at all times if open below 30 degrees, and canít be left open in any breeze at all below 50 degrees or so. It doesnít seem right. In any case, it isnít acceptable to me, so i am on the hunt for a 400N gas spring of the same size... if there is one. The current ones are 350N, about 78 pounds, rated. Fifteen percent stronger would be about 90 pounds... Just be careful with them; it came down on my head and left hand over two weeks ago when i thought it would stay up, and my head and hand are both still healing. If itís just the cold, surely others must be experiencing similar issues.
Thanks for the heads up and warning. Actually, mine are not that great either and they have just entered the service only a couple of months ago. They will hold up the canopy if it is all the way up, but as I push it up, I need to make sure it is not half way up and let go, unlike my old 7 which seemed a lot more positive.
If you found a better set, please let us know. I would probably replace mine for that bit of an assurance.
Dues paid
Old 02-12-2019, 11:34 AM

If you purchase struts that end up being too strong, try one strong one on the pilots side only..... providing you only open and close your canopy from this side. Doing this allows you to install a much stronger strut to hold up the canopy without causing the canopy to twist.

Keep in mind the increased closed pressure on the forward strut mount will need to be braced.
VAF #897
2019 =VAF= Dues PAID