Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-30-2019, 11:29 AM

Default 33-11 Step 5

<vent>
The polyethylene sleeves on the forward ends of the rudder cables are secured inside the center tunnel by four Adel clamps (two each).

I'd love to have a chat with the genius who decided that the four nuts in question were adequately accessible to adult human hands.

I just spent 1.5 hours wrestling with the **** things and only managed to get two started. Though I did finally figure out how to tighten them (it wasn't obvious), I haven't done it yet, as I managed to re-injure a barely healed knuckle in the process. The other two are still sitting there mocking me.

What a cluster!!
</vent>

RV-8 N118KB (sold)
RV-14A N114KB (#140494)
Finish & FWF kits in progress
Old 01-30-2019, 11:47 AM

I also only got two done. The other two are waiting for my helper to come over and receive his punishment for recent absences. But at least we RV-14 builders get to complain about hard-to-reach bolts and nuts. I'm sure the early RV-6 builders had plenty of other things to complain about.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:56 AM

Adel clamps are notorious 'nut-launchers' but noboby has come up with a better solution. Making your own ad-hoc tool to hold them clamped together, position the nut, align the holes, etc. is usually the solution......along with some colorful language and an occasional beer you can usually bend them to your will :-)
RV-14A #140158 flying
Old 01-30-2019, 12:14 PM

I got the idea From a post a couple months ago of clamping the adel clamp closed with a Medical hemostat available at any pharmacy. Made the job much easier.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheari View Post
I also only got two done. The other two are waiting for my helper to come over and receive his punishment for recent absences. But at least we RV-14 builders get to complain about hard-to-reach bolts and nuts. I'm sure the early RV-6 builders had plenty of other things to complain about.
No doubt! As an early -8 builder (a bit better than the -6 kits, but not much), I'm definitely appreciating the -14 kit. Inaccessible MS21042-3 nuts, not so much. I hate those tiny things - not sure why Van's changed from the ubiquitous AN365...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake14 View Post
Adel clamps are notorious 'nut-launchers' but noboby has come up with a better solution. Making your own ad-hoc tool to hold them clamped together, position the nut, align the holes, etc. is usually the solution......along with some colorful language and an occasional beer you can usually bend them to your will :-)
Oh, I'll get 'em eventually. Only another hour or two to bourbon time. Maybe Blanton's tonight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZetting View Post
I got the idea From a post a couple months ago of clamping the adel clamp closed with a Medical hemostat available at any pharmacy. Made the job much easier.
Yep, I just did exactly that to hold them closed. My real issue was with how difficult it was to start the nuts, hidden as they are beneath the inboard cover angles and tucked, for good measure, right up against a nutplate. I lost count of how many times I dropped the nut, the wrench, or both. Fun times...

RV-8 N118KB (sold)
RV-14A N114KB (#140494)
Old 01-30-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbalch View Post
Yep, I just did exactly that to hold them closed. My real issue was with how difficult it was to start the nuts, hidden as they are beneath the inboard cover angles and tucked, for good measure, right up against a nutplate. I lost count of how many times I dropped the nut, the wrench, or both. Fun times...
Looks like you built a 8 which I assume tighter space than 14, it is tight but don't recall to be super bad.

I usually keep the Adel clamp closed using safety wire to the extend that I can start the nut by hand at least one or two threads. Then simply cut the safety wire. From here on, tasks becomes easier to tighten the nut.
Dues paid
Old 01-30-2019, 12:41 PM

I'm 4 sections behind you.. Is there any reason why the bolts cannot be put in from the outboard side into the tunnel? If not I have some grand kids with little hands to loan out
Old 01-30-2019, 12:42 PM

Default Opportunity to install nut plates?

I am months away from this step . . . however would this be an area where a nut plate could be employed? It would make the job at least half-way easier . . . not looking at plans so don't know if this is viable.
2019 =VAF= donor
Old 01-30-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtgraves View Post
I'm 4 sections behind you.. Is there any reason why the bolts cannot be put in from the outboard side into the tunnel? If not I have some grand kids with little hands to loan out
That was our solution. Find a small-handed person!

RV-14A Complete!
Airworthiness cert issued June 27, 2018
Old 01-30-2019, 01:19 PM

Well, I've got the aft two nuts all snugged down. The forward two are started (whew!), but I can't seem to get any combination of sockets, wrenches, or clamps to hold them with enough purchase to actually tighten them down.

I'm going to check with Van's when their tech support hours open up at 6:00 EST. I bet they fabricated a custom tool of some sort for this awkward corner. What a bear!!

RV-8 N118KB (sold)
RV-14A N114KB (#140494)