VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-26-2019, 08:19 AM

Default Painting behind instrument panel

I'm at the point where the instrument panel frame gets riveted to the fuselage, and I'm debating what to do as far as paint behind it goes. The first bay is of course visible when the canopy is open. I could leave it in primer (smoke gray), paint it interior color (a creamy gray for vintage Ford tractors), or paint it black. How did you do yours, and would you do it the same way a second time?
Old 01-26-2019, 08:29 AM

I have a grey interior and I painted it glossy white along with the underside of the canopy that covers those areas. If I had to do it again I would paint it the same color as the interior. It’s time consuming to mask off and inevitably you get some spray through relief cuts, holes and other gaps you may miss during masking. All one color is simple and fast.
RV14A #140083
Down to last 2%
2018 Donation+

Last edited by Tom023 : 01-26-2019 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:55 AM

Default White

Iím in the paint it white camp since itís a far brighter area to work in if you ever have to crawl under to there to fix or add any equipment, mind you Iím working on my second slider project, witch are considerably more enclosed!
Dues paid 01/19
Old 01-27-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheari View Post
I'm at the point where the instrument panel frame gets riveted to the fuselage, and I'm debating what to do as far as paint behind it goes. The first bay is of course visible when the canopy is open. I could leave it in primer (smoke gray), paint it interior color (a creamy gray for vintage Ford tractors), or paint it black. How did you do yours, and would you do it the same way a second time?
Mine is painted same color as interior (grey) for simplicity. Would do same way next time.

Leesburg, VA
RV-14A kit # 140243 (flying as of 11/18)
VAF 2018 and 2019 paid
www.mykitlog.com/chrismoon/
Old 02-06-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheari View Post
I primed then painted all of that upper forward fuselage structure black and I like it. Would do it again. The fuselage interior is a different color, I call it a light gray.

N2814X Reserved

RV-14A Started Nov 2013
Builder #140100
Empennage/Tail Cone DONE! (95%)
Wings In Progress (90%)
Fuselage In Progress (75%)
Finish Not Started
http://www.mykitlog.com/bschweinberg (not up-to-date)

=VAF= 2019 Dues Paid
Old 02-06-2019, 05:18 PM
Moderator, Asst. Line Boy

I primed that area grey, but cover it during normal ops with a panel-to-subpanel velcroed avionics cover. Love the dressed look.

http://www.flightlineinteriors.com/accessories

Abby makes these for the 6, 7, and 9. I bet sheíll work with you on a 14 cover (new product for her).

Sid "Scroll" Mayeux, Col, USAF (ret)
52F Aero Valley Airport, Roanoke TX (home of DR's Van Cave)
"KELLI GIRL" N260KM RV-7A tipper, YIO-360M1B with Danny King ďBeautiful DollísĒ old Hartzell CS prop, dual PMAGs, dual SkyView, GTN-650, VPX, EarthX LiFePO.
Wrap by AircraftWraps.Com. Nose Art by VictoryGirl.com. Smoke by Smoke System Helper.
90% done, 90% to go...
www.mykitlog.com/scrollf4/

Proud and grateful 2019 -=VAF=- Contributor
Old 02-06-2019, 08:26 PM

Default Instrument Panel Cover

I did ask Abby about an instrument panel cover for the 14 and she said it was not possible due to the demisting fans in the glareshield.
RV10 Standard Fuselage Complete
RV10 Empennage complete
RV-7 Slider Flying VH-VNZ
Sports Aircraft Assn Australia. Tech Councillor.

2019 Dues Paid