- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2018, 01:34 PM

Default Canopy Issue (after paint) ... Heartbreaking

Yikes! (the pic makes it look a lot worse than it actually is)

This happened at the paint shop already during reassembly, the painter fixed it perfect. Happened again this morning. Been about 15 flights in between.

The best I can tell the is that I left the canopy up on it's pins, which keeps it at an angle, on Saturday. Came out today to fly, lifted the canopy, and "pop", this happened. I think what has happened is that it was in a position where the front thin aluminum was touching *every so slightly* and it got a little tacky (temperature change?) and held it in place just long enough for the lip to catch the seal. The more it raised, the more it started bending and digging in.

Already talked with the painter, he can fix it again. Evoke is great, took my call on Christmas Eve, love Jonathan and his team.

The silver you see isn't from the canopy catching, it's from where I cut out some of the proseal so I could get the canopy up to take it off without causing more bending/damage. I had to wedge a credit card under there to get the canopy up, took some paint off the lip in the process.

At any rate, my questions to you guys:

1) Anyone else have this or a similar issue?
2) How much material did you have to take off the factory inset on the front of the canopy for fitting?
3) Any suggestions on how to permanently fix so it doesn't do it again?
4) Would *LOVE* to see pics of your fitment here for comparison.

Right now, my plan is to take about 1/16 of material off the front lip where Vans already provides an inset cut.

It's well fitting canopy, very good clearance all around.

Thoughts/suggestions/comments welcome.

And Merry Christmas everybody

#140376 RV-14A QB IO-390 Thunderbolt
Progress: Flying!

Last edited by bkervaski : 12-24-2018 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-24-2018, 01:47 PM

Not unusual, and you did not cause it. The underside of the canopy skin must be tapered and the upper side of the forward skin. The gap closes when opening and if tight down does not lift fast enough (several reasons) the skins will butt and bend. I have a spot just like that (-7) and currently have a strip of UHMW tape under it.

That area is well known to the 7 crowd, at least the tip ups.

RV-7
1st Flight 1-27-18
Phase II 8-3-18
Repairman 11-15-18
Instrument Currency 12-17-18
Old 12-24-2018, 03:36 PM

I did that during assembly when I had the skin clecoed in place. I had opened and closed a number of times, then it caught. I am concerned about this long term. I don't have the top skin in place permanently in place yet.

RV-14 (serial number 140073)
N73XP (at least that # reserved now)
Old 12-24-2018, 03:40 PM

Smile Join the club

I had the same thing happen on my -14. Happened twice. First time was after paint when the canopy was opened for the first time. Filed back/beveled the skin some more. Second time the plane had been sitting on the ramp in the sun and things expanded. Lifted the canopy and heard the ďpop.Ē ****! Filed back/beveled some more. All good now except the skin is bent and I havenít been able to unbend it. Now she's no longer perfect but I still love her!
Flight testing completed August 14, 2018
VAF dues paid plus beer money😜
Old 12-24-2018, 04:30 PM

Default Mine too

After several fittings, multiple openings and closings and thinking I had it dialed-in mine grabbed near the right clip cover. Bent the canopy skin down as well. Iím still building but Iíll have to circle back to the canopy chapter and work on that some more.

My forward seal is visible between the canopy and forward skins when itís closed and locked. I know I placed it properly but Iím going to remove and replace. I think it may have been part of my problem.
T-Bolt IO-390
Maule MX7-180
Old 12-24-2018, 04:51 PM

The flaw here has to do with the relatively short/compact canopy hinges Van's uses on the tipups. If the hinge points were moved a few inches forward, the skin would not catch. Take a look at the Lancair Legacy canopy hinges to see what I'm talking about.
N244BJ RV-6 "victim of SNF tornado" 1200+ hrs, rebuilding
N8155F C150 flying
N7925P PA-24-250 Comanche, restoring
Not a thing I own is stock.
Old 12-24-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHartline View Post
My forward seal is visible between the canopy and forward skins when itís closed and locked.
Mine was the same, I end up moving it every a bit back thru multiple tries. I did not take a picture but as I recall the seal is about 1/8" to possibly 3/16' aft of the edge of the skin. Thru a simple water hose test, it does not leak but time will tell as the force of the rain at high speed could prove different.
Dues paid
Old 12-26-2018, 10:47 AM

Thanks for the feedback all!

The consensus so far seems to be that I need to taper the canopy bottom skin and perhaps shave back the skin another 16th.

Keep the suggestions coming
Old 12-26-2018, 11:55 AM

My 6A did this decades ago - the bend in the skin is still there despite filing it back multiple times and attempting to counter-bend it back to straight. It's due to the pneumatic lift struts pushing forward pretty hard on the canopy when it's closed, as well a failure to relieve and bevel the skin edges as described.

If it makes you feel better, it's now among the least noticeable blemishes on my 20 year old airframe and paint job.

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - flying since '98
RV-10 - N130YD reserved - under construction

donating monthly to the VAF - thanks, Doug
Old 12-26-2018, 04:43 PM

The issue isn't with the skins touching .. the issue, after some research, is the proseal application. This is a much bigger issue than I initially thought that will take some time to remedy. Very discouraging.

This is a QB fuse and the QB folks ran the sealant bead too high. They ran it all the way to the F-01471 top skin effectively creating an angle for the front of the canopy skin to have an opportunity to grab where the intent is for it to sit parallel to the top of F-01455.

I'm going to have to dig out the seal and re-apply it properly. Hopefully, the plugs in the various holes on F-01455 won't come out in the process.

When I pull the seal a good bit of that edge will need refinishing and blended so it's going to cost me a few bucks and, sadly, a good bit of downtime.

I've also noticed the same incorrect proseal application on some builder blogs out there while doing research where, for aesthetics, that seal is being run up to the F-01471 skin. Hoping those guys get lucky and it's not an issue for them.

Last edited by bkervaski : 12-26-2018 at 04:56 PM.