- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsquared View Post
Chris Moon
I am in the middle of my wing build and was planning on doing the same thing...flyleds and shielded wire. Question.... did you hard wire from the lights to the control board or did you use connectors at the tip and root? If connectors were used did you use the supplied molex connectors or something else?
I have a connector at the wing tips so they can be removed and another connector at the wing root. In both places I used CPC connectors.

Leesburg, VA
RV-14A kit # 140243 (flying as of 11/18)
VAF 2018 and 2019 paid
www.mykitlog.com/chrismoon/
Old 12-05-2018, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechsix View Post
Did you guys tie the shields to ground at both ends of the wire? And did you ground the black wire for the lights locally at the wingtips, or run a dedicated wire all the way back for the ground path? If the latter, was the ground return wire inside the shield with the power wire (i.e. twisted pair with power & ground) or was the ground return wire run separately as a standalone, unshielded wire?
The Flyleds instructions have you run a 3 wire shielded cable to each wing tip and use the shield as a ground for the position lights as part of the circuit. I don't have anything grounded locally, everything is run back to the controller board under the pilot seat and grounded from the board to the forest of tabs on the firewall.

Leesburg, VA
RV-14A kit # 140243 (flying as of 11/18)
VAF 2018 and 2019 paid
www.mykitlog.com/chrismoon/
Old 01-04-2019, 10:11 AM

Default Update

I updated my answer in post #2 to address the Vans supplied wiring harness.
RV-14. #140039 Complete
Flight hours: 325+
2019 Dues Paid
The Dues Paid note is a reminder for me
Old 01-04-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechsix View Post
Did you guys tie the shields to ground at both ends of the wire? And did you ground the black wire for the lights locally at the wingtips, or run a dedicated wire all the way back for the ground path? If the latter, was the ground return wire inside the shield with the power wire (i.e. twisted pair with power & ground) or was the ground return wire run separately as a standalone, unshielded wire?
I used a dedicated ground wire which is part of the shielded wire, two conductor shielded wire, and the shield is grounded only on one side as this is the standard practice as I understand it.
For the NAV which I am using FlyLED, is a three conductor shielded wire and I am following their diagram. The shield is grounded only one side.
Dues paid
Old 01-04-2019, 11:19 AM

Default Whelen Orion 650 & 500 requires NO shielding . . .

I am a fan of Whelen - they have been in this business for years and are use to meeting FAA requirements. So I had a few discussions with Whelen regarding their Orion 650 (wingtips) and Orion 500 (tail). I questioned why their install drawings did not require any shielded wire and grounding . . . long story short - it has to do with the power supply they employ. They see no noise emitted from these products. They emphasized that their PS is different then what many competitors use. The price is the same as AEROLED and i am going with Whelen to avoid the added wiring and possible noise issues. The only issue is the tail light which TimO detailed in an earlier post - it doesn't fit without a bit of fiberglass work on the lower rudder fairing.

Just a point of reference . . .
2019 =VAF= donor

Last edited by MS19087 : 01-04-2019 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:46 PM

Default Nav/Strobe/Landing Lights

I'm trying to finalize a wing wiring plan before I rivet the bottom wing skins on my 14A project. I'm using the AeroLed Nav/Strobes at the wingtips, and a pair of Whelen lights as landing lights. Additionally, I plan on using the garmin GMU-11 magnetometer installed per the plans at the inboard section of the left wing, and the garmin GAP-26 unregulated pitot tube. I was planning on using the kit supplied wire harness but, after reading the above posts, I think I may do something different. I want to minimize the interference of the wiring from the wingtip lighting that will pass approx. 12" aft of the magnetometer location. After reviewing the posts above, my plan is to run a shielded 3 conductor wire from the Aero Led Nav/Strobes to a plug located at the inboard wing section. This plug location is pre-designed for the RV14 and will later connect to another wiring harness from the fuselage.
I'm still learning wiring basics, so bear with me. The attached pic is from the installation guide for the AeroLed Nav/Strobes.

It appears to show three twisted wires and the shield being used as the ground. Is this correct? If so, my question is what is the preferred method of transitioning the shield to a wire that can be installed in a plug. My guess would be to unravel enough of the shield so that some type of connector can be attached, and transition to an insulated wire made up. Something like this?

Above pic just an example. I plan on using this wire:

The plan for my landing lights is twist two wires (unshielded pwr/gnd) and run them along side the shielded wire for the nav/strobes discussed above.
Am I on the right track..or at least "a" track?
Thanks!
2019 VAF Donation Complete

Last edited by Mudfly : 01-19-2019 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:17 PM

Default SOLDER SLEEVE

This is what I prefer for shield termination
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...lickkey=14313
They come with an integral wire or the wireless sleeve which can be used with a pigtail wire.
Douglas, GA. 2019 Dues paid
Old 01-19-2019, 07:19 PM

Default Solder sleeve

The link does not seem to show up right - look up item
11-14743
Douglas, GA. 2019 Dues paid
Old 01-19-2019, 08:28 PM

I have had good luck using snap on Ferrite core rings on the strobe wiring nearest the strobe/powerpack.
RV6 #20477 completed 1991 sold.
RV7 #72018 N767T first flight 11/21/2017 250+ hrs.
IO-360M1B MT 3 blade, Dual AFS 5600 QUICK Panel.
Manual Flaps. KOXC Oxford, CT
1941 J3 Cub skis,floats.
2019 dues gladly paid.

Last edited by Jpm757 : 01-19-2019 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Sp
Old 01-20-2019, 03:41 AM

Default Wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfly View Post
I'm trying to finalize a wing wiring plan before I rivet the bottom wing skins on my 14A project. I'm using the AeroLed Nav/Strobes at the wingtips, and a pair of Whelen lights as landing lights. Additionally, I plan on using the garmin GMU-11 magnetometer installed per the plans at the inboard section of the left wing, and the garmin GAP-26 unregulated pitot tube. I was planning on using the kit supplied wire harness but, after reading the above posts, I think I may do something different. I want to minimize the interference of the wiring from the wingtip lighting that will pass approx. 12" aft of the magnetometer location. After reviewing the posts above, my plan is to run a shielded 3 conductor wire from the Aero Led Nav/Strobes to a plug located at the inboard wing section. This plug location is pre-designed for the RV14 and will later connect to another wiring harness from the fuselage.
I'm still learning wiring basics, so bear with me. The attached pic is from the installation guide for the AeroLed Nav/Strobes.

It appears to show three twisted wires and the shield being used as the ground. Is this correct? If so, my question is what is the preferred method of transitioning the shield to a wire that can be installed in a plug. My guess would be to unravel enough of the shield so that some type of connector can be attached, and transition to an insulated wire made up. Something like this?

The plan for my landing lights is twist two wires (unshielded pwr/gnd) and run them along side the shielded wire for the nav/strobes discussed above.
Am I on the right track..or at least "a" track?
Thanks!
Something to consider. The Nav Power, Strobe Power, and Ground are normally all thicker 18 AWG wire to support the power demand of the Strobe. On my suntail the power draw was 0.4 amps continuous for the Nav light, 3.4 Amps pulsating for the Strobe, and all the power of course returned through the ground wire. The green sync wire coming from the lights are 22 AWG since I assume only a small amount of energy is flowing through it to synchronize all the strobes (I don't have an amperage draw number for the sync wire).

With that said, I chose to run an 18 AWG 3-conductor shielded wire to the wings for Nav, Strobe, and Ground with a separate 22 AWG single unshielded wire for the sync. I am using the shield as true shielding, not a ground wire. Also, since the two power and 1 ground wire all go to the firewall I could continue them in the shield all way to their destination. The Sync wire routes to a splice under the seats with the other two sync wires. I also have no data on how much Current / Amperage the shielding of M27500 wire can handle without overheating, but would assume it is ok since that is how a few manufacturers recommend wiring their lights.

On a side note, I have also decided to mount the GMU 11 in the tail section on a shelf fabricated between the longerons about midway back to prevent magnetic issues from all the high power draw devices in the wings (pitot wiring specifically). By placing it high on a shelf it keeps it about 2-3 ft away from the trim servos and the suntail electrical wiring which is more than I could do for any wing location. Multiple methods seemed to have worked in application and I am not trying to persuade anyone in any direction. Simply offering up one methodology.

I am also happy to share my wiring diagram if anyone is interested (discussed in a previous thread). Just PM with an email if desired as I can send in the working Visio file or a read-only PDF.
Empennage & Wings Complete
Fuselage In Progress
Research Always

Last edited by mulde35d : 01-20-2019 at 04:48 AM.