Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2018, 08:45 PM

Default Nav/Strobe Light wiring...any noise issues?

The wing wiring harness that came with the -14 kit doesn't use shielded wire for the strobes & nav lights as specified by AeroLED's recommended diagrams. Eliminating the shielded wire saves a bit of cost and weight, but for those of you flying who used Van's harnesses, do you have any strobe noise (through the headset)?

Interestingly, Van's tailcone harness does use shielded wiring for the tail nav/strobe light. I see there's a piece of black wire (a couple feet long) connected to the shield braid. Does that wire get terminated to the airframe, or the Suntail light mounting screw? I don't see that part specified in the tailcone plans.

Thanks,
RV-8A N2D #80583 - built/flew/sold
RV-14A #140017 - wings complete, empacone in progress...
Old 12-03-2018, 06:00 AM

Default Shielded wire

Mark,
Take the time to use shielded wire in the wings. I do have strobe and wig/wag noise. I’ve been too busy flying to fix the noise. It is the only noise issue I have.
Marvin

UPDATE: 4 January 2019
As part of my Conditional Inspection, I decided to address the strobe noise issue. In post #4 of this thread I discussed adding a Faraday shield/cage as decribed by Carl Froehlich, it did help some. Next I decided to install the noise filter as described on page OP-55-04. Although the instructions say it is only required for AFS/DYNON systems it did help significantly with my Garmin G3X system. So if your going to install the Vans wiring harness as supplied you should consider installing the supplied noise filter. If you choose to use shielded wire you will only need to do so for the wing portion of the harness because the portions inside the fuselage are shielded already.

RV-14. #140039 Complete
Flight hours: 250+
2018 Dues Paid

Last edited by M McGraw : 01-04-2019 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Added information under UPDATE
Old 12-03-2018, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M McGraw View Post
Mark,
Take the time to use shielded wire in the wings. I do have strobe and wig/wag noise. Iíve been too busy flying to fix the noise. It is the only noise issue I have.
Marvin
Did you use standard harness and AeroLeds?
https://turnerb14a.blogspot.com/
Old 12-03-2018, 06:15 AM

Default Harness

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturnerb View Post
Did you use standard harness and AeroLeds?
I used the standard harness. As a first time builder, I was unaware of the difference. I did read the Aeroleds warning, but did not quite understand the difference. I did comply with the Vans revision to ground the lights at the fuselage and not the wingtip. This week I intend to do the suggestion from Carl Froehlich. If it does not help I will rewire with shielded wire.

Quote from Carl Froehlich:

“Two things:
- I had the exact same problem - using the first generation of the AEROLED nav/strobes. Calling then they recommended a fix. I was able to eliminate 95% of the noise by putting an aluminum backing plate under the nav/stobe on the inside of the fiberglass wingtip. The nav/strobe mounting screws make the connection between the nav/stobe case to the aluminum backing plate. Take the nav/strobe ground wire and cut it - leaving just enough to ground it under one of the mounting screws (the shorter the better) - and then the ground to the plane on the same screw.
- Later I talked to the AEROLED guys at Oshkosh. They did a mod from the first ones I had and exchanged mine for no charge. I kept the backing plate setup.
No noise at all now.

PM me your email and I’ll provide photos.

Carl”
RV-14. #140039 Complete
Flight hours: 250+
2018 Dues Paid

Last edited by M McGraw : 12-03-2018 at 06:20 AM.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:47 AM

Another data point, I abandoned the nav lighting harness wires in the wings and ran separate shielded cables. I am using Flyleds and have zero noise issues.

Leesburg, VA
RV-14A kit # 140243 (flying as of 11/18)
VAF 2018 and 2019 paid
www.mykitlog.com/chrismoon/
Old 12-03-2018, 09:36 AM

I have used shielded wire for NAV/Strobe and landing light and really happy as I have ZERO noise. I would not know if they are actually on, in a bright daylight.
Dues paid
Old 12-03-2018, 09:38 AM

Chris Moon
I am in the middle of my wing build and was planning on doing the same thing...flyleds and shielded wire. Question.... did you hard wire from the lights to the control board or did you use connectors at the tip and root? If connectors were used did you use the supplied molex connectors or something else?
S/N #140480
N144BL reserved
Dues paid for 2019
Old 12-03-2018, 11:31 AM

I wasn't a builder, but rather a buyer. Everytime I turn on my Nav and or strobes, I have a high pitched squeal in my headset. Drives me nuts. Do what these guys are saying.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M McGraw View Post
Mark,
Take the time to use shielded wire in the wings. I do have strobe and wig/wag noise. Iíve been too busy flying to fix the noise. It is the only noise issue I have.
Marvin, I'm surprised you've got wig/wag noise, I used unshielded wires in my RV-8A for the landing lights as do most people and had zero noise from the wig-wag. What is driving the wig-wag in your airplane...GAD 27? Or do you have the AeroLED Sunspot landing/taxi lights that have the built-in wig-wag function?

Also, is the wiring from your audio panel to headset jacks running in the same bundle as the landing light and strobe power wires? Is the audio wiring shielded, with shields grounded only at the audio panel end (no shield connection to airframe at the headset jack)?
Old 12-04-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova RV View Post
Another data point, I abandoned the nav lighting harness wires in the wings and ran separate shielded cables. I am using Flyleds and have zero noise issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavafa View Post
I have used shielded wire for NAV/Strobe and landing light and really happy as I have ZERO noise.
Did you guys tie the shields to ground at both ends of the wire? And did you ground the black wire for the lights locally at the wingtips, or run a dedicated wire all the way back for the ground path? If the latter, was the ground return wire inside the shield with the power wire (i.e. twisted pair with power & ground) or was the ground return wire run separately as a standalone, unshielded wire?