What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop Installation Question

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
This might be an obvious one, but I don't mind asking dumb questions. So....

I think that I figured out that the flange on the IO390 is a "R" according to the hartzell manual. In the install section is says on 3-48:

(b) An "R" flange propeller maybe installed on an "R" flange in one position only.

But when I look at the prop, there is one bolt that the hole through the flange is flush (the hole is for the bolt is the same diameter the entire way through the prop flange), while all the other bolt holes will accept the nut/bushing from the flange. Then when I mount the fly wheel, two of the bushings are flush with the fly wheel (on opposite sides). The other four stick out and will side into the holes in the prop. With this said, it seems that the prop could go on two ways--180 degrees from each other. This also means that by definition one of the bolts would not have something flush up against it when bolted in place. I would have figured that if the prop were to only go on one way, then 5 of the 6 Nuts/bushings on the engine flange would stick out passed the flywheel and slide into the 5 holes in the prop to make firm contact. Does this make any sense?

Also, I have not taken off the red cap (dust cover) on the prop to look inside. I was wondering if the o-ring on the inside should be lubed up with some oil to ensure it slide on easily. Or should some oil be applied to the flange where the o-ring will slide onto. I did not see anything in the installation manual about doing this, so it probably is not necessary or even could be bad.

I think that I just figured it out. The propeller is an R flange, while the engine is a K flange. which means that it can be installed onto the engine in one position or 180 degrees from that position.

Back