What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-13?

jrsites

Well Known Member
Okay. Let's provide the folks at Vans with a little unrequested Voice of Customer.

I may be in the minority, but what I'd really like to see come out of the RV Skunkworks is an RV-7 that goes together like the RV-12. I'd gladly pay the airspeed penalty of pulled and/or round head rivets in exchange for the build speed benefits of pre-punched FASTENER holes everywhere.

I guess what I'm asking for is something with the power, flying qualities, baggage space, range, etc. of the RV-7, but which builds quickly like the RV-12.

Only thing I'm not sure of is how much pulled rivets might add to the cost.

Tuawk amongst yuhselves...

Bumpy Wings?

Wow - Here's a strange thought::confused:

1. Actually, except for cost, you COULD use all pulled rivets on an RV-7(a)
2. The BIG time saver would be to do away with dimpling. So:

A: Could you replace all counter sunk rivets with round head pulled rivets on the 7/9?

and B: Could you do this without the entire RV community burning you at the stake as a heretic?

RV wings as bumpy as a Skyhawk? Weird.

And if ANYONE from Van's is reading this: MY idea of the RV-13 is a high wing pusher.:eek:

Dkb

Okay. Let's provide the folks at Vans with a little unrequested Voice of Customer.

I may be in the minority, but what I'd really like to see come out of the RV Skunkworks is an RV-7 that goes together like the RV-12. I'd gladly pay the airspeed penalty of pulled and/or round head rivets in exchange for the build speed benefits of pre-punched FASTENER holes everywhere.

I guess what I'm asking for is something with the power, flying qualities, baggage space, range, etc. of the RV-7, but which builds quickly like the RV-12.

Only thing I'm not sure of is how much pulled rivets might add to the cost.

Tuawk amongst yuhselves...

Yeah, Apollo 13 either sucked up all the bad juju or jsut gave us a serious warning!

I've often thought it would be nice to piggy back the panel in the 12 to the 9/7 as a basic option! Not everyone would go that way, but...

Bob

I've met Van. For some reason he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would care about that "unlucky 13" thing.... :D

Going up...

As a matter of fact, just this week I was in a brand new hotel with a 13th floor. Interestingly, it was only mentioned by folks on one trip (of many) on the elevator. It turned out, nobody cared. Maybe there is still a little sanity left in the world.

Serious thread drift....but hey, I flew my RV on the trip and while I was there I talked up RVs with a bunch of airport managers at a conference!

Last edited:
Pop Rivet 7? Don't think so...

Isn't this what quick build kits are for?

Skylor

Back