What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wood Gear Stiffeners

rvbldr3170

Hi all,
How many of you -4 flyers have or haven't used the wood stiffeners on you gear legs?

And if you haven't used them, is the bouncing too much to be tolerated, or is it acceptable?

I had them on my RV-4 and my wife doesnt have them on her RV-4. My understanding is the main reason to put the stiffeners on is to reduce shimmying. Bouncing is more of a function of your landing technique. Either way will bounce significantly if you come down too hard.

I have used them on my Rockets because the landing gear is much longer than on the RV-4. However I have never needed them even on the tall rv-4 gear. What has worked out well for me was during ailgnment of the gear leg fairings I would spray what they call Tuff stuff inside the entire fairing squirting it in from the middle and working my way up to the top and again work my way down from the bottom.
This is a foam inselator that expans and then hardens, Works great, you can find this at your locol hardware store. Never shim'es and still absorbs well on landing.

I have used them on my Rockets because the landing gear is much longer than on the RV-4. However I have never needed them even on the tall rv-4 gear. What has worked out well for me was during ailgnment of the gear leg fairings I would spray what they call Tuff stuff inside the entire fairing squirting it in from the middle and working my way up to the top and again work my way down from the bottom.
This is a foam inselator that expans and then hardens, Works great, you can find this at your locol hardware store. Never shim'es and still absorbs well on landing.

Some folks have found corrosion on the gear legs under the spray in place foam.... it might not be the best thing to use, especially in the Pacific Northwet.

Back