What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

_4 rivets

danweseman

Hi Guys Im working on a second hand rv-4 kit. it came with no hardware or rivets. Im trying to order rivets but have no idea of how many of each size to start with.Vans said they didnt have a "rivet kit" and i would have to look it up on the plans? I started a list from the plans but.... i figured some one here would have some good info! i need to build a rudder, two elevators and skin the fuse and wings? Thanks for any advice Dan

Look no more!

Hi Guys Im working on a second hand rv-4 kit. it came with no hardware or rivets. Im trying to order rivets but have no idea of how many of each size to start with.Vans said they didnt have a "rivet kit" and i would have to look it up on the plans? I started a list from the plans but.... i figured some one here would have some good info! i need to build a rudder, two elevators and skin the fuse and wings? Thanks for any advice Dan

We will have all of the solid rivets you will ever need.

We sell them in 1/4# increments.

Order 100 dollars of stuff and you can get free shipping!

The more items you add to the cart, the better discounts you can get.

There is an offer for our 350 page ref book on our webstore.

I will look it up and post it when I get back from my appointment.

Last edited:
The promotional code for the Free Aircraft Hardware Reference book is

We will have all of the solid rivets you will ever need.

We sell them in 1/4# increments.

Order 100 dollers of stuff and you can get free shipping!

There is an offer for our 350 page ref book on our webstore.

I will look it up and post it when I get back from my appointment.

The promotional code for the Free Aircraft Hardware Reference book is

"VAF-REF-BOOK" it is valid until 12/31/2009 as referenced in post,

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=46723

Last edited:
Rivets & other hardware

Dan,
If you recieved the packing lists with the kit, they are a good start, because they tell you exactly what is supposed to be in each numbered bag (you are going to need hardware in these bags as well as the rivets) If you don't have the lists I am sure Van's will send them to you so you can order directly from the lists. (They e-mailed them to me when I bought an uncompleted kit)
That way you can order "Bag 456" (as an example) and recieve all of the hardware that is contained in that particular bag.

Dan, I just e-mailed you a copy of an RV-6 wing / tail pick list that Vans sent me. It should get you pretty close for the -4. If you want it, I also have an excel sheet with many of the hardware items listed along with prices from different vendors. I will tell you, if you are missing All the wing and tail hardware, including rod-ends, AN fittings, ect; you are problably looking at needing $500+ worth of hardware. Heck, the nutplates alone are over $100.

Also, when you do get a proper RV-4 inventory list go through and make sure you have all the small bits of uncut angle, tube, and sheetmetal needed to make all the brackets ect. Those bits can add up on shipping so you might as well order it at the same time. As everything else.

Thanks Guys This group is great! ive had a least 10 private emails all with excellent info! This kit is very complete and has many extras. it just didnt come with any rivets. i have plenty of nuts bolts nut plates etc and do have all the rod ends etc. the internal structure is all built and almost all the skins fitted (clecos)already but need to be deburred dimpled primed and riveted.now i just need to get going! Thanks again for all the great info! Dan Weseman

Back