What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 Cockpit photos

mycole

Hi y'all:

Looking for some specific cockpit photos that shows what an RV-4 looks like loaded up w/ real, life-sized human beings in it. Any body have any w/ people in the front and back seats? It'd be nice to have some views from several different angles so I could really get a good feel for the size of the cockpit.

Of course what would be really cool is if I could actually see an RV-4 in real life. Anyone know of one near my whereabouts? I live about 15 minutes north of Vandalia, Illinois, which is a little over an hour east of St. Louis on I-70.

Thanks for your help.

Michael

I can't say I'm a real human being, but I am 6', 155lb, and here I am in a RV-4. Wish I'd bought this airplane, but, well, there were complications.....

N125JS_DR_web.jpg

Photo of knee clearance in the front seat (linked to avoid huge photo in post).

TODR

Doug:

MANY thanks! Those are JUST what I'm looking for. When you were sitting in the back seat did you close the canopy? Did it hit your head or did you have an inch or two of clearance yet? How was the leg room in the back for someone your size? It actually doesn't look too bad. Not that I'd like to subject someone to a coast-to-coast cross country but... :rolleyes:

md

MANY thanks! Those are JUST what I'm looking for. When you were sitting in the back seat did you close the canopy? Did it hit your head or did you have an inch or two of clearance yet? How was the leg room in the back for someone your size? It actually doesn't look too bad. Not that I'd like to subject someone to a coast-to-coast cross country but... :rolleyes
I flew 125JS from the back in fairly calm air. The canopy was close, but I could easily slide my hand between my head and it - call it at least 2" of clearance. Leg room was tight, as your feet are on the sides of the front seat. I have a shorter torso and longer legs.

In short, it's snug, but that's part of the attractiveness of the RV-4 to me anyway. It would be fine in back for a 2 hour flight, but I'd hate to ride back there for longer than that at a stretch.

TODR

Well, i'm really looking at an RV-4 as mostly a solo plane anyhow to fly to various work sites. The only time I'd have someone in the back would be for recreation purposes and it would be just local, short flights. My wife is 5'4" and the kids are all quite young still. I'm 6' on the nose and 225#.

The price is really nice for a lot of used RV-4s right now, so it really seems to be the ideal platform. However, I don't see as many IFR certified 4s as I do 8s. That would be a must.

md

Head clearance depends on the seat cushion. If your passenger has a tough behind and a long neck, you could have them sit on the floor. Rear seat comfort is aided by building footwells also.

I'm 6' 1/4" and 205 lbs. This is me in the back of my RV-4. The old owner was 5'11".

After I purchased this RV-4 I lowered the front seat pan 5/8" of an inch to give myself more head room. I flew it before lowering the seat and only made contact with the canopy one time on a cool morning while holding the brakes for run-up. It took me about 10 hours to get used to the small cockpit but I love it now.

First_Ride.jpg

RV-4 Cockpit room

I'm 6'-2" and 230 lbs. and I am building my second RV-4. I didn't put footwells in my first one, but I am putting them in my second. I also moved the front seat back 1-1/4" . I have sat in the back seat and even with moving the front seat back the rear seat is livable. While it is small, it isn't uncomfortable for short trips (1-1/2 - 2 hrs). Canopy clearance is determined by seat cushion thickness. I used a 1-1/2" thick cushion on my first one, and it worked out well.
The footwells make a big difference. If you get the "24 years of the RVator", there are plans for the footwells in there.

Hope this helps

Thanks Merle, Sid Steve and everyone else.

Anyone have or know of an RV-4 I can see in person? I live an hour east of St. Louis but upcoming travels for work will bring me to Milwaukee, Phoenix, Great Falls MT, Kansas City, Austin and Memphis. Would love to see one and possibly sit in one in real life to gauge for myself what the dimensions are before buying.

Many thanks.

michael

EAA 277 is having a poker run and lunch tomorrow the 11th in Marion MWA just a hop south of you. Come on down and we'll get you a ride and you can get photos of YOU in the front and back seats. I'm skipping the poker run (9-12) but will be hanging around up till 1130 then I'm leaving town for a meeting. You can look at mine up till then and if not the poker run organiser has a -4 too and I can believe he'd have objections to you seeing his.

Grant

You're welcome any other time too if this doesn't meet your schedule. Just PM me and we'll get you pics and a ride.

Grant:

Thanks a bazillion for your generous offer! I'm in the middle of a bathroom remodel project tomorrow but I would LOVE to come down some other time. I'll contact you at a later date and we can try to get together.

Again, many thanks for your kindness!

md

I flew 125JS from the back in fairly calm air. The canopy was close, but I could easily slide my hand between my head and it - call it at least 2" of clearance. Leg room was tight, as your feet are on the sides of the front seat. I have a shorter torso and longer legs.

In short, it's snug, but that's part of the attractiveness of the RV-4 to me anyway. It would be fine in back for a 2 hour flight, but I'd hate to ride back there for longer than that at a stretch.

TODR

TODR,
Thanks for that pic of the knee room. I've OFTEN wondered if I could fit in a -4 I'm 6'4'' 160 lbs, but like you I'm mostly legs (32X36 Levis) so I wondered if I could stuff 'em in there. Looks possible.

Thanks Merle, Sid Steve and everyone else.

Anyone have or know of an RV-4 I can see in person? I live an hour east of St. Louis but upcoming travels for work will bring me to Milwaukee, Phoenix, Great Falls MT, Kansas City, Austin and Memphis. Would love to see one and possibly sit in one in real life to gauge for myself what the dimensions are before buying.

Many thanks.

michael

EAA 1218 in Southern Mo has a member with one. We have a poker run today too.

I have a great video I took flying my -4 that pans and shows the ample legroom. I'm also 6' and 220#. If anyone can tell me how to post a video or if you give me your email I'd be glad to send it to you.

Chris

www.youtube.com ...look for the 'Sign Up' link up top right on its screen.

You can upload a ten minute clip up to 100MB in size. It hands you a URL that you can post here or email to anyone.

b,
dr

Well, here it is. Not a great video by any means but shows the ample leg room. As far as head clearance, my canopy sits just a little higher than normal. But on a cold morning (memory foam seats), with any negative G, my head still doesnt hit the canopy. Hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ccryan872

Well, here it is. Not a great video by any means but shows the ample leg room. As far as head clearance, my canopy sits just a little higher than normal. But on a cold morning (memory foam seats), with any negative G, my head still doesnt hit the canopy. Hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ccryan872

Thanks for posting that video. It does show that you've got a good couple of inches b/t your knees and the bottom of the panel. While it seems a little tight, it seems totally workable.

I'm over 6' tall and have never had a knee clearance issue. I can even pull my feet back to the locker bulkhead (about 10-11 inches forward of the spar) and my knees don't hit anything.

The tightest part of the cockpit for me is probably my shoulders. Once in a while I feel them rub on the sides. But as far as leg room, its a great, roomy cockpit. I'm not saying I can get up and grab a cup of coffee and say hi to the flight attendants, but leg room is not an issue at all.

The best thing.....

The best thing about it is once you climb back into a Cessna 172 you feel like you are flying a wide body. : )

perspective

It's not tight - it's SPORTY! A Corvette isn't especially roomy, either. But is sure is fun!

Leg room...

Boy, I really have to disagree with CCRYAN on this one. I'm 5'11" and I would kill for 6" more leg room.

When your legs are bent, it puts more of your weight on your tailbone and makes long flights uncomfortable. If you can stretch out, you can distribute more of the weight to the back of your legs.

It's ok but could be better.....

John

Back