What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

iPad 11 Pro compared to other units

jeffsvan

Well Known Member
Members,

Anyone have the new iPad 11 pro? Do you like?

I currently own a iPad 9.7 Pro (first gen) and run Garmin Pilot App.
My prior display was a first gen iPad retina 9.7 (iPad 4?) which I sold.
I made this upgrade to get rid of screen glare the old iPad 4 gave me; nothing more.

I am now considering upgrading to the iPad 11 Pro just for the larger display size in about the same size footprint. I assume the screen is also glare resistant? Will I like not having a physical 'home' button?

Is there a lower cost alternative? Perhaps something made by Samsung?
I only use the iPad for pilot related activities. I am not a gamer. My biggest concerns are screen glare, and something that will be slightly larger screen size above the 9.7 I already own.

thanks

I?ve been happily using the iPad 10.4? pro in portrait mode, mounted on a ram mount on the pax side and canted directly toward my line of sight, for about 14 months in my 7A. I?ve never had an issuewith brightness, and the double refresh rate vs. The 9.7? pro is a real advantage. if you can fit it in, go for it! Absolutely go for ForeFlight pro with synthetic vision.

I?m now installing a full Garmin G3X system with a 10? G3X touch, G5 backup efis, GtN750, GTX 345 panel mount, 507 autoplilot head, and GMA245 panel mount audio, and the iPad 10.4? Pro will remain as an important instrument running ForeFlight. It will receive and utilize Wass GPS info from the GTN750, dual band adsb-in traffic from the GTX345, Attitude Information from the Garmin ADAHRS, and airspeed info all via bluetooth from the G3X, so it will have even more utility and importance in my new panel.

I have a new 11" iPad Pro that I got to run WingX and Foreflight. It replaces my original gen 1 iPad and my gen 3 iPad. With my RV-3B unfinished, I mostly use it at home and in my Cessna 180.

Bottom Line First -

I don't think it's worth the money, frankly, and until I discovered the software shut-off (see below), I hated the thing. It's annoyingly slippery. But the screen is decent, it was easy to set up, it's fast, light, and it does the job. The attraction for me was the processor which, I hope, will still get iOS updates for a long time to come. But if I'd had a newer iPad that was still supported, I'd have passed this one by.

I like -

The screen, which is nice. It seems lightly better than the gen 3 one, which was also a Retina screen, although not as bright and without the anti-glare. So far the screen met my needs.

The battery life, which seems close to what my gen 1 iPad had. That was excellent. But still, I'd happily trade a bit of weight and thickness for more battery.

The processor speed, which is noticeably but not hugely improved over the others. I hope that Apple won't prevent operating system upgrades for a while. That was the main reason for buying a new iPad for me as the previous ones were no longer upgradable.

It was relatively easy to load a lot of things on initially by merely placing it side-by-side to my iPhone. That was sweet. It was the easiest device set-up I've ever encountered.

I don't like -

The price.

The lack of a one-button shut-off. The only button shut-off seems to be simultaneously pressing the power button and a volume button. If you don't hold it long enough and happen to press the volume up button, it takes a screen shot instead. The only alternative I know about is Settings, General, scroll to the bottom and press Shut-Off, and that's more convenient than the physical buttons.

It doesn't let me use unsupported 32 bit heritage apps. For me, these include "gps2tas," and a weight and balance app. There's no 32 bit emulation capability that I know of.

To accommodate the plenitude of new features that I don't care about, they made the Settings app full of interrelated choices. It took a long time to set things the way I wanted it, basically telling it not to do things. No Siri, no cloud, etc. But that's just me.

The exterior surface is extremely slippery. Plus, according to a video I saw, the overall unit is somewhat fragile. There are very few soft, grippy cases that simply provide a bit of cushioning and a better grip available as yet. Right now, caseless, this thing is just waiting to be damaged. Someone make me a soft, simple, high-friction case!

The rear camera protrudes from the back. If I thought I could cut it off with a hacksaw, I would.

What's just different -

A swipe up of different lengths is used to replace the missing home button. It works and is only slightly annoying - when I first turn it on, the swipe up doesn't work. the iPad goes dark and then I tap it and then the swipe up works. Except for that, the swipe up is no better and no worse than the Home button.

It has a face-recognition feature. I am not using it. I am still using a typed-in code to open it, and that works fine even though it's not really an advertised feature. Since I have no need for the front camera, I taped over that and the face camera. The iPad works fine anyway.

With the settings finally set up the way I wanted them, it works much like the previous ones I have, and that's satisfactory.

I hope this helps!

Dave

Ram mount?

David, thanks for the review. I'm planning to upgrade to the new 11" Pro soon.

Do you know which Ram mount works with the new Pro?

I already have a Ram ball mount installed that I used for my Garmin 795 (before I did my G3X upgrade). I don't fly with my iPad now but I plan to start using it in flight when I get the new Pro.

No, I don't yet know of a Ram mount. So far, don't need it and haven't looked. And since I'm building an RV-3B, I might need something smaller anyway.

What I'd like to see is an iPad Mini Pro. Maybe someday.

Dave

Pro 11

I have the iPad Pro 11".

Quick background. I mainly use FF with FltPlan Go as a backup. I have been tinkering with FlyQ as I really want to love it, but it is just not there yet for me. Flying is split between IFR and VFR. I am a big fan of mounted iPads in the cockpit as opposed to letting it lay around. I work in IT so I have the benefit of playing with quite a few devices like this.

Bottom line up front, the biggest draw back for me today is the lack of mounts available. Because of this, I am still using my iPad Pro 9.7 for the heavy workload flights. The iPad Mini 4 is my backup in the flight bag.

If you are used to the interface on an iPhone X or newer iPhone, the 2018 iPads are the same and no learning curve.

The processing power is slightly noticeable coming from the 9.7 using aviation apps. More noticeable if you are using multiple apps at the same time. Significant difference from my iPad mini 4.

The device is slightly bigger than the 9.7. iPad references the general screen size, not the device size in their marketing. The bezel is very narrow on these devices. If you are a landscape viewer, the 11 is about as wide as you can go on the typical trainer yokes and still have room to comfortable hold the yoke with one hand.

Speaking of bezel, if you are an iPad kneeboard pilot with the elastic corner straps, you may actually cover a considerable portion of the screen. Another item to note is you need to access the on/off/wake button on the corner of the bezel. Many kneeboards I have used will cover it up. Similar concern with some of the RAM mounting options.

Lastly if you are not used to USB-C connections, you will need a whole new set of cables to power your device. There are some benefits over the lighting cable (faster charging, bi-directional power,....) but probably not something you are going to value in the cockpit today.

What I'd like to see is an iPad Mini Pro. Maybe someday.

Dave

Unfortunately it looks like the best we are going to see in that space is the 'Phablet' in the near future. In Apple's case the iPhone XS Max.

Good new is that the Max screen is not to far from my mini 4. If you jump into the Samsung devices, you get even closer.

Back