What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SL30 and GPS496 Feeding D10A/D100

mantry

Well Known Member
Howdy, comptemplating some panel changes...

I currently have a D10A (may upgrade to D100) and for NAVCOM a SL30 and for GPS a GPS496. Right now the output of those is feeding a CDI head and thru some other gizmos to a NAVAID AP1. Well the AP1 is coming out and I think I'm upgrading to a D100 so the CDI head will come out.

Can a SL30 and a GPS496 be fed to a D100 so that the CDI/HSI/GS will display on the D100?

Will I need a switch to switch the serial line input to the D100 from the SL30 or the GPS496? (3 way switch? SL30-DB9 for Updates-GPS496)

Thanks in advance! (I'm just getting started and will roll out more questions as I go)

Mark

Dynon stallation guide

Yes, looks like you'll need a switch (Page 2-2).

I thought I'd seen an option for using both SL30 and GPS input. Here it is:

"Connect the GPS or SL30 transmit line into pin 22 on the DB25 connector. This is the same Serial Rx line that is used for firmware updates. You will need a way to disconnect this when you plug your EFIS into a PC for firmware updates and checklists.
If you have both a GPS unit and an SL30, you will need to wire the two transmit lines to a 3-way switch; connect the output of the switch into pin 22 on the EFIS harness. You will use this switch to toggle between GPS, SL30 and a disconnected state. The HSI auto-detects the switched instrument and will change modes automatically."

http://www.dynonavionics.com/includes/guides/EFIS-D10A_Installation_Guide_Rev_J.pdf

Very similar to the D100 install guide. Page 17. But do yourself a favor and read through the whole guide. There is also a User's guide.

Finn

Last edited:
This is exactly how mine has been set up from day one. Years later, it is still an effective package for my VFR cross country trips.

Rob, does it makes sense to have BOTH the AP74 and the HS34 in the same panel? I realize they are for different things, but then again they also duplicate some functions as well. ie: Now I have 2 knobs I can change the barometric pressure with.

Does the AP74 and/or D100 do the same EFIS related audio call outs?

Thanks in advance!

Mark

Back