What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Switching Between GPS Sources to Autopilot

Pilotjim77

Well Known Member
I wasn't sure whether to put this in the Autopilot or GPS forum.

I want to put a switch on my panel to switch between my three GPS sources to feed the autopilot. I think I need a DPDT switch (on/on/on) with a jumper to accomplish this. I'm not 100% sure how to wire this. Perhaps a different kind of switch might work better? Any thoughts or suggestions?

I've got a couple of these... not sure if they are appropriate or which terminals to use.

mNeT2mx.jpg

l48j1HN.jpg

I wasn't sure whether to put this in the Autopilot or GPS forum.

I want to put a switch on my panel to switch between my three GPS sources to feed the autopilot. I think I need a DPDT switch (on/on/on) with a jumper to accomplish this. I'm not 100% sure how to wire this. Perhaps a different kind of switch might work better? Any thoughts or suggestions?

SEND ME YUR EMAIL AND I WILL SEND A WIRING DIAGRAM.

When I saw this post it reminded me once again why I like my all Garmin G3X system. When I first built my plane I had a Garmin 480, GRT displays w/ internal GPS and TT autopilot - plus switches to select AP input source. It all worked fine but when things got busy it was all too easy to get the wrong input to the AP or wrong selection on the GRT.

With my current panel, the GTN, G3X and GMC 307 work seemlessly together. I let the GTN be the navigator 100% of the time. The only time I don't use the GTN is when I "fail" the GTN on purpose.

The only "switching" I do is HDG or NAV mode on the AP and whether NAV is GPS or green needles.

Make sure any switch you use has gold contacts, standard toggles not a good idea for small signal switching.

Switch needs depend on what the source has to offer, but in best case (say a GTN box or similar) you need to switch 3 wires - one RS232 line, and an ARINC pair. For three sources that?s a lot of wires.

Back