What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tail weight question

Charles in SC

Well Known Member
With my -7 in a level attitude about how much weight do I need to attach to the tail to jack it up useing the wing jack points to hold the tailwheel down?

As much as it takes...

I used a 17 gallon galvanized bucket and filled it with 80lbs of Quikrete concrete mix.

Thanks for the info Brian. I have a makeshift tail stand that I have used throughout the build that consists of 6 concrete blocks and a wooden structure on top that is designed to hold the tailwheel. I am planning to strap it together along with the tailwheel. All together the stand weighs a little over 150 lbs so it sounds like I will be good with that.

Tailwheel friction

When I install the tailwheel into the fork it has a lot of friction , is that normal?
I can install a washer on both sides, but I'm not sure that this is a good idea.
There is a rim on the tailwheel that 'touches' the fork.

When I install the tailwheel into the fork it has a lot of friction , is that normal?
I can install a washer on both sides, but I'm not sure that this is a good idea.
There is a rim on the tailwheel that 'touches' the fork.

There should be no friction or contact.

How tight are you torquing the axle? The bearings are rollers and don't tollerate side loads from tightening. If they have been squashed too much, might be good idea to change out the bearings, cheap from Vans'

Back