Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-22-2020, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post
Why? The -12 has more room and better visibility than the -9 and the useful load might be surprisingly close.
Absolutely correct. And 120kts is about all you're going to get out of it with that 100hp engine.

So what would you have if you took what the -12 is i.e. a non aerobatic side by side machine, and retooled it to handle the performance that could be achieved with a 915 and CS prop on the front? Would that not essentially be a rework of the -9 with a Rotax 915 in terms of mission profile?
Need a wing kit
Old 01-22-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe gremlin View Post
I think Vans would do very well with a reworked 915 powered version of the -9 assuming of course they could do it at a competitive price point.
I keep thinking about this, over and over in my head. I use my 9A on a lot of long cross-country trips at high altitude, and I'm thinking about 915is in place of the IO360 in that case. It would allow me to cruise about 4k' higher, in the 18k-21k range and be able to cruise well into the yellow zone right up against Vne in smooth air - but that again bumps up into the idea that we need to protect against going too fast on descent and Vans has always shied away from trusting the pilot to not do anything stupid. You'd have about a +$12k delta for the 915is over the IO360, and it would buy about 15-20 knots in cruise at a higher altitude. It would require a new cowl for the cooling requirements, and close attention to airspeed, perhaps a stronger empennage for better flutter margins.

Might be worth doing after all...
Built an off-plan 9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:22 AM

Default Haven't seen it yet at UAO

I've been based at Aurora since about 1996. If I recall correctly, Van's flew several of their other prototypes back in the 90's and early 2000's before they were announced.

Today, my guess is they'll unveil it before it flys - or about the same time. They'll be no keeping this cat in the bag once the -15 sees daylight!
Old 01-22-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguy View Post
....perhaps a stronger empennage for better flutter margins....
That assumes that the empennage is the critical flutter part. How will you know, short of a real flutter test program, if you're right of not?

Dave
Old 01-22-2020, 05:45 PM

Maybe the RV-15 should be a well-designed trailer for the RV-12.
Old 01-23-2020, 05:43 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kuykendall View Post
Maybe the RV-15 should be a well-designed trailer for the RV-12.
Nice. Well-designed and affordable please. With optional fuel-transfer tank. I'm only at the empennage stage, but I was toying with the idea of heavily modifying a harbor freight trailer. Mission would be from home to gas station to local field and back on low-speed surface streets. Probably would want a more substantial enclosed trailer for much more than that.
RV-12is Empennage Kit, Fuse Kit, #121228
N781PT Reserved
Donated 2020
Old 02-11-2020, 07:07 PM

RV-15 with a match for those supposed new E-LSA weight standards 1550 to 1600 # we keep hoping for with a Sport Pilot License, if the FAA ever gets it moving. Removable wings, slightly wider cabin, a 30 gal fuel tank behind the seats, utility rated, and could be flown with a Sport Pilot license.

2 seater, but somewhat like the Sling TSI also with the 915iS.

Or maybe the UL-350IS 130 HP FI motor, to keep the price lower and operating on Mogas, keep the lead out of the motor parts?

More payload weight back there, maybe a full 100 # with out screwing up the CG, and the forward and below visibility the RV-12 is so well known for.

Glass EFIS with ADSB Out and In.

One can dream... kinda feel with what little I know, that the RV9 and RV-12 pretty much cover most of those bases.

Must be similar or less assembly time than the RV-12.

Last edited by NinerBikes : 02-11-2020 at 07:12 PM.