What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rusty pilot courses

dreed

Well Known Member
Hey all- getting much closer on my build and finally have a little bit of time to fly/get current before I get with Mike S for transition training. I want to go into the training as prepared as possible and am thinking something like Sporty's products would be good for me since I spend a lot of time in the back of planes and hotels for work.

Wondering if just there BFR and Comm's course would be sufficient or it it would make more sense to buy their PPL course for a decent review.

It's been 10+ years since I've really flown much, 15 or so since I've really flown regularly.

Thoughts? Other options?

Thanks!
dan

A full PPL course couldn't hurt. Especially if you have time to kill on your hands. Some things have changed in 10-15 years.
The good part is you can move at your own pace and spend extra time covering the material you feel the weakest on. That's what I would do if I were in your shoes.

I?d suggest the private course, as the skills and knowledge taught in that course will be most applicable to what you?ll need with Mike, as well as when you are flying your own airplane.

As far as the actual flying is concerned, I?d suggest not just getting a BFR, but getting a checkout until you?re proficient and then doing some solo flying to build your comfort and confidence. At that point, you?ll be ready to fly with Mike, and after that, you?ll be ready to fly your airplane.

My son got his PPL about 6 months ago and he used Fly8MA online video program for his ground school. The videos are good and best of all it is free.
https://fly8ma.com/courses/pplgs/?utm_source=youtube&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=FLY8MA%20Flight%20training%20channel

I completed my flight review in February after not flying for 10+ years. The ground school part was not an issue. I attended AOPA's Rusty Pilot seminar, re-read some of my old books and watched a few youtube videos. But getting back in the plane and flying was not pretty. Its not like riding a bike. It took me 10 hours of dual. So don't underestimate the amount of time it will take you before you are safe. If you get it done faster, great, but plan on more than the 2-3 hour minimum.

Thanks All!

I think you've confirmed what I thought and the way I was leaning already, but it's good to know others are thinking the same way.

As far as actual flight time- I have no schedule or hard # in mind. If it takes me (and the CFI) 5 hours to feel comfortable, great, if it's 20 (or more) that's fine too. I know it is a perishable skill and I have no ego about how many hours I have to be done in.

Thanks again-
dan

Last edited:
I was in the same boat just recently. I haven't flown regularly for close to 15 years. I still had my old PPL books, so I used those plus a newer BFR book to catch the changes. The flying part cam back pretty fast. BFR took about 5 hrs to be decent. I am about 5 hrs into transition training and pretty close to done. It has taken about this long for me to get comfortable. The nerves are gone now, so I can focus on improving.

The RV-6A is much easier to land than I expected. The accuracy and feel of the controls just make it natural. For me, it is easier to land than the Warrior I did my BFR in. I had more trouble with the takeoffs than the landings. Getting used to the non-steerable nosewheel has been the hardest part. I was really nervous for my first RV landing since I had no idea how it would handle on the ground, but it went great.

Back