VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-28-2019, 07:18 PM

Default Skybeacon

Does anyone have any experience with the Skybeacon ADS-B out on an RV 12? Any installation problems?
Old 05-29-2019, 11:59 PM

John, my unit is a self installed FreeFlight UAT, but here are two issues I had that might affect other units:

1. I transposed two characters in the ICAO hexadecimal code for my plane and got a call from FAA asking to get it fixed.

2. My D180 encoder was set to a default output resolution of 100 feet which was causing a BARODELT fail. The ADS-B required an altitude resolution of 10 feet.

Hope this helps.

Rich
Old 05-30-2019, 07:05 AM

I've heard of some Skybeacon issues in an Aviation Consumer article recently, I installed the Garmin GDL-82 in my RV12, although the install takes longer it worked perfectly and I did get the $500 rebate from the FAA after a successful flight test with no issues. However the article does state that your location, if "far away from good radar and ADS-B coverage" there's a good chance of failing the flt. test...this was in the recent June 2019 edition.