Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 08:46 PM

My 912 uls was shipped early 2010 and has
the #2 exhaust that requires no action (left one in
the photo in the SB
Old 05-26-2019, 09:29 PM

Like “Benfra” I had a separated exhaust header on another homebuilt. It was a War FW-190 with a fiberglass covered wood airframe. It took me about 20 minutes to reach an airport. My cockpit smelled like a barbecue pit, but fortunately I only had minor charring at the edge of the firewall. That plane looked great, but it was responsible for a lot of “experience”.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHound View Post
Thank You!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
My 912 uls was shipped early 2010 and has
the #2 exhaust that requires no action (left one in
the photo in the SB
Good news, I think! See post #2.
One Week Wonder Build Team, OSH 2018.
VAF paid through 10/2019.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:55 AM

When I received my powerplant kit from Van's in June of 2015, I received one of the very first kits with the revised exhaust system that moved the muffler a little further aft. So if the powerplant kit was received much prior to that date, the exhaust pipe will not be the EX-00017 pipe shown with the issue.

I have no clue when the newer EX-00017-1 pipe began shipping in the powerplant kits.

Because my RV-12 has the EX-00017 exhaust pipe in question, for piece of mind and safety, I just placed an order for the revised EX-00017-1 exhaust pipe and will replace the affected pipe.

Happy flying,
Now Flying!!

Dues paid until September 2020
Old 05-28-2019, 02:13 PM

Everyone,

Please be advised, the only proper way to check your aircraft to determine whether the affected part is installed is to remove the cowl and take a look. You only need to remove the top cowl half, which takes less than five minutes, and grab a flashlight to see the whole pipe.

Shipped before/after dates can help determine likelihood of which part is installed, but do not guarantee an accurate answer. The only way to accurately and reliably check, is to check. Failure to check the aircraft means non-compliance with the service bulletin.

Just want to be very clear on that point! It only takes a few minutes of time and a Phillips screwdriver to complete the part inspection.

Thanks,

greg

Building RV-8A since Sept 2014 (N88VX reserved)
Dual AFS 5600, Avidyne IFD 440, Whirlwind 74RV, Superior XPIO-360
VAF build thread - Flickr photo album - Project Facebook page
Hillsboro, OR (EAA 105)

Old 06-05-2019, 09:42 AM

Default It figures....

Of course I have the affected part!! Let me first say that I appreciate Van's selling this to their customers at their cost! Not happy with Rotax!! I just ordered the new version at $230 plus tax/shipping. After only 140 hours in my first 2 years, it's ridiculous that a customer should pay for a defective part, especially on the heels of my overweight carb floats! I don't care about the labor cost (most of us do it ourselves anyway) but everyone that has this bad exhaust pipe should be reimbursed by Rotax

For reference, my FWF kit was packed/shipped in Dec, 2016. The packing list does not show the individual pipe part numbers, so you really have to visually inspect as Greg pointed out. I would really like Van's to push this issue with Rotax, it's just wrong and it's about $30 worth of pipe/welding! Sorry for the rant, it's not the money, definitely the principle.

Old 06-05-2019, 11:25 AM

Hi Paul, sorry to hear you have the affected part. But, are we sure it is a Rotax problem?
The Rotax 912 is installed in a million (OK, maybe hundreds) different airplanes with a variety of exhaust arrangements. I can't imagine that Rotax builds all these different pipes. Maybe the aircraft manufacturer sources just the end pieces from Rotax and the rest of the pipe is welded up by someone else to fit the application?
Old 06-05-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_T View Post
Hi Paul, sorry to hear you have the affected part. But, are we sure it is a Rotax problem?
That's a good point Tony, and I did think about that, I was just hoping to find out via the rant who the actual vendor was. Just like the carb floats are more of a Bing issue (I assume) but Rotax needs to step up on that one. Just frustrated....like I said, probably about $30 worth of time and materials to make the replacement pipe. Normal usage/wear/tear is one thing, but a defective part....all involved vendors should step up. But you're right, this one may have nothing to do with Rotax!
Old 06-05-2019, 01:26 PM

I suspect that this pipe is a Van's vendor-supplied part unique to the RV-12 series. Wouldn't it be less costly (as a user option) for the vendor to weld a patch over the weak area of the EX-00017 pipe using the original jigging? Perhaps Van's could offer to exchange a failure-prone EX-00017 pipe for a vendor-repaired replacement pipe that is similar to the EX-00017-1?

Fortunately, my older (#120496) RV-12 has the original EXH-1202 pipe and I am OK for now. We'll see ...
EAA #23982 (circa 1965) - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B 2020) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 820+ hours (as of Aug 2019)!
VAF donation through June 2020.

Last edited by DHeal : 06-05-2019 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHeal View Post
Wouldn't it be less costly (as a user option) for the vendor to weld a patch over the weak area of the EX-00017 pipe using the original jigging? Perhaps Van's could offer to exchange a failure-prone EX-00017 pipe for a vendor-repaired replacement pipe that is similar to the EX-00017-1?
I think that's a great idea Dave, I hate to just remove what appears to be a good exhaust pipe (currently) and just throw it in the trash!! (along with $230) Maybe an exchange program where those with the bad pipe could be sent a repaired version (to reduce downtime) and send in the bad pipe. If the user doesn't send in the old pipe in a reasonable amount of time, they could be charged full replacement price. I would certainly prefer that to throwing it away. Thanks for the thought
Closed Thread