- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-31-2019, 04:28 PM

Default Jumper Wire

But the Electrical Schematic for the 912ULS does call for for the
B to C jumper. Verified the install with Vans support. The reason
I initially left it out was the plans for the SH regulator show it on a
wiring diagram but do not address it in the directions. Left it to be verified
later thus a discharging system at startup.
Finish kit done
Avionics in
Painted
Firewall forward in progress

"I have enough money to last me for the rest of my life.
As long as I don't buy anything"
Old 05-31-2019, 05:14 PM

Cyclone, you are right of course. And I have steered the thread off track a bit, sorry for that.

The jumper wire is used with the SH regulator whether you have the ULS motor or the iS motor.

My only reason for responding to this thread is to clarify that the Ducati regulators, which are no longer shown on the plans, do not use the yellow jumper from B+ to C terminals but have a yellow wire to C that is activated by the Master switch. I was responding more to Joe's post rather than to your post.

Since us Ducati guys are on borrowed time it's good to know that the Master will turn off the regulator.

Actually, the latest POH (11/15/18) covers all the bases in the checklist for electrical fires. You turn off the switches as well as pull the 30 amp generator fuse. The pre-iS emergency procedure you only pulled the 30 amp fuse if you had a over-voltage from a run-a-way generator.
RV-12 #202 -- Flying
Old 06-02-2019, 07:17 AM

Default 912ULS Not Charging

I have a question about this so I can learn the reasoning behind the wiring system. This is not asked to start an argument or anything like that.

I blew the 1 amp fues on the switch module circuit board while doing upgrades to the avionics system. I installed the auto-pilot control module, knob module, ADS-B In and Out, connected the AOA, put two USB ports on the panel, and installed a Tosten stick grip with pitch trim, auto-pilot disconnect, ident, and push to talk on it.

This was my first time working on the avionics or electrical system of an airplane. I didn't know to disconnect the battery when I started and that is how I blew that 1 amp fuse.

But my question relates to the type of VR. At the time my Ducatti had failed and I had installed a John Deere that I bought from Amazon for $20.00. I got the idea from this forum. So when Van's told me about the new wiring plan for the SH, I installed the jumper on the John Deere and it worked fine. The VR on my airplane was in front of the firewall.

I remember reading a report somewhere if an RV-12 pilot who had smoke in the cockpit. As I remember he not only pulled the fuse and shut the Master switch off, but pulled the wires off of the VR since it was mounted in the cabin. He said that stopped the smoke.

A month or two later I installed the SH and it is wired the same way. I installed the SH because I decided I wanted over-voltage protection and it is build into SH. I did this after learning of two airplanes on my airport that had run away voltage and destroyed the avionics.

So my question is if using the jumper for an SH is a proper method, approved by Van's, why would it not be an approved method for a different brand VR (mounted in the approximate same location)?

Thanks in advance for your answers. I have learned a lot from the people on this forum who openly share their knowledge.
Just passed 140 hours flight time in RV-12, and 10,000 hours mostly in corporate jets. I am a CFI; CFII; MEI; and a advancd Ground Instructor, CFIG; and hoping to be able to help new RV-12 owners by doing some transition training for new builders and owners in RV-12's.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotyoung View Post
So my question is if using the jumper for an SH is a proper method, approved by Van's, why would it not be an approved method for a different brand VR (mounted in the approximate same location)?
Approved by Van’s doesn’t mean it’s correct, we all make mistakes.

It doesn’t matter what regulator you have (of those three,) they all have the same pin functionality . A jumper from the regulator “control/sense” pin to the “output” pin is inappropriate in any aircraft application. As others have noted, If you jumper this connection, once started, the electrical power can not be turned off without stopping the engine.

This goes against the ASTM standards that require a “ Master Switch” on an aircraft with an electrical system. I don’t see how a system that can’t be shut down by opening the “master switch” as being ASTM compliant. Calling your “ battery disconnect switch” a “master switch” and adding a line in the POH to pull a fuse doesn’t cut it...in my opinion, other opinions welcomed.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:17 PM

Right on Mike M.
In lieu of using a jumper from regulator terminal B to C, instead use an inline fuse and switch between terminals B and C. Mount the switch on the instrument panel. In case of high voltage or smoke, the pilot can easily shut the switch off.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:07 PM

Adding a switch gives control over the voltage regulator and is standard practice in the AeroElectric Z schematics by Bob Nuckolls.

Can some one verify that the new SH voltage regulator has overvoltage protection built in? This is the first time I heard this. Great news if you want to utilize the Earthx battery.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:46 PM

Default 912ULS Not Charging

Look at the Van's notice 18-04-06 that outlines the installation of the SH regulator. It states that it has overvoltage protection and explains the working of the alarm wire when connected to the Dynon Skyview.
Just passed 140 hours flight time in RV-12, and 10,000 hours mostly in corporate jets. I am a CFI; CFII; MEI; and a advancd Ground Instructor, CFIG; and hoping to be able to help new RV-12 owners by doing some transition training for new builders and owners in RV-12's.