Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2019, 05:50 AM

I bought my 12 from the original builder and haven’t had the pleasure of connecting a laptop up the comm port connector. I’ve been researching how to update D-180 and the task looks a little daunting. I recently installed OS updates and data bases on a friend’s Skyview HDX and it was a piece of cake. The instructions for the D-180 tell you to take photos of every screen before pushing buttons. There are probably a hundred screens with the pull-down menus. I keep re-reading the RV-12-Dynon D-180 Support Program download instructions and I’m starting to get nervous.

I have an old windows laptop with 9-pin serial port and CDROM drive and a 9-pin serial extension cable. I have Dynon’s disc for the serial driver. I can download the locked settings file from Van's.

So, my question is… am I over-thinking this and it’s not as bad as it appears? I can just start the process, and if it goes badly, I send the unit back to Dynon. Or, stick with my original plan to send unit to Dynon at the end of the flying season. I'm running 5.5.0 and just need to reload the locked (unlocked) settings. I'm getting too old for this...
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC July 2012 N633CM
RV-12 Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 441

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
and MJ Stricker (CFI) - 1st Lt. Captain B-17H

Last edited by Piper J3 : 06-03-2019 at 06:49 AM.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:26 AM

Default Upgrade

Jim,
You love your RV-12 and you only live once. Why donít you spend your money for the good and upgrade your panel to Skyview like Tony T. did at the end of the flying season.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedimbek View Post
Jim,
You love your RV-12 and you only live once. Why don’t you spend your money for the good and upgrade your panel to Skyview like Tony T. did at the end of the flying season.
Actually, I bought Tony's D-100 when he upgraded to have dual displays and I like them a lot. I just need to fix the yellow/red boxes on the fuel gage and the audible/visual warning for low fuel level.
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC July 2012 N633CM
RV-12 Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 441

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
and MJ Stricker (CFI) - 1st Lt. Captain B-17H
Old 06-03-2019, 11:43 AM

Default D-180 updating

Jim,

Yeah, unlike the SV you have to hook up a computer to the D-180 to do the software update. The process is a bit scary the first time you do it, and it has been several years since I did it but here are a couple of tips that I remember.

I used my old WinXP laptop and it works fine for this. You have to have the Dynon Support Program loaded on the laptop and you should use the Dynon dongle with the blue connectors, if you have that.

In this picture I was running my D-180 on the bench when I first got it way back in 2009. Geez, I can't believe that was 10 years ago already!

The dongle is short so I used an extension serial cable so I could put the laptop on the wing while doing the updates after the unit was in the airplane. Also be sure to have that old laptop connected to a charger. If the laptop battery dies during the update you probably will have to send the D-180/100 to Dynon. Stuff can happen, that is why the advice to photograph your settings. My file of those settings has 43 photos in it, not hundreds.

I don't remember if you have to update both the D-180 and the D-100 for them to work together but it's probably a good idea. I know only the D-180 has EMS and the D-100 gets the data from it so it may be that you don't need to do them both to see the EMS updates you are looking for but I would plan to do them both. I know the with the SV and two screens you have to do them both or they don't work with each other.

You are already ahead because you have been reading the documentation. It should go smoothly with the D-180. However when I first updated the D-100, the support program wanted to know if I had a magnetometer. I answered yes, since I did have a magnetometer and then the D-100 froze up. I had to call Dynon. The issue was that although there is the one magnetometer in the system you do not have a second magnetometer for the D-100. So the correct answer to that question is NO for the D-100 update.

I would not do the updates on a weekend. Do them on a weekday when you can get phone support if needed. If you shut down the update process without it completing you will probably brick the unit and have to send it in.
RV-12 #202 -- Flying

Last edited by Tony_T : 06-03-2019 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:39 PM

There is a list of default settings from Vans...Know your current K value for fuel flow, the Vans default is not even close..I went thru this too, my D180 is at 5.6...I sent it to Dynon because I had them repair my pitch servo and it came back at 5.6 so the only way was to send them the D180, Vans locks it at 5.5 so when I got it back I re ran the 5.6 update with auto pilot master switch on so it would update roll servo and compass to 5.6, no big deal but your laptop will need a driver downloaded for the serial port cable. If you have issues call Dynon when your at your aircraft. Have a battery charger hooked up and a charger for your laptop, they will get you thru it...