What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Section 46a-Installation of intersection fairings

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
I have a couple of questions about the installation of the intersection fairings:

I taped up the upper and lower areas as indicated on 46a-22. It seems that the amount of tape on the upper one (1.6 mm) is fine, but 0.7 mm of tape on the lower one is so much that I can't get the fairing to close up when I cleco it in place. I assume that I should just remove tape until it is OK. Good Idea? What is point of the tape?

Now that I have the tape in place, I can't seem to get the holes to line up between the upper fairing and the nut plate holes in the belly of the plane. I can get a few to line up but not all. Should I focus on ensuring that the two for the back of the fairing are the most important, since they will dictate the angle of the main leg fairing? Then push the fairing to get the other dimples in the fairing as close to where they should be as possible?

How do you know if the lower intersection is aligned properly so that the leg fairing is not twisted? Or does the upper intersection lock the fairing in place, then just gently slide the lower one into place to make sure there is no twist?

I do have the plane off the ground right now.

Any tips would be great.

thanks

I have a couple of questions about the installation of the intersection fairings:

I taped up the upper and lower areas as indicated on 46a-22. It seems that the amount of tape on the upper one (1.6 mm) is fine, but 0.7 mm of tape on the lower one is so much that I can't get the fairing to close up when I cleco it in place. I assume that I should just remove tape until it is OK. Good Idea? What is point of the tape?

Now that I have the tape in place, I can't seem to get the holes to line up between the upper fairing and the nut plate holes in the belly of the plane. I can get a few to line up but not all. Should I focus on ensuring that the two for the back of the fairing are the most important, since they will dictate the angle of the main leg fairing? Then push the fairing to get the other dimples in the fairing as close to where they should be as possible?

How do you know if the lower intersection is aligned properly so that the leg fairing is not twisted? Or does the upper intersection lock the fairing in place, then just gently slide the lower one into place to make sure there is no twist?

I do have the plane off the ground right now.

Any tips would be great.

thanks

I think the tape is to ensure a uniform gap around the intersection fairing.

I put gorilla tape on the gear leg itself on top and bottom until the gear leg fairing was a snug fit. I would think that this would line the fairing up with the gear leg.

My upper intersection fairing didn't line up either. I just held it in place and used a long #40 bit to drill from inside the fuse through the plate nuts into the fairing. Hope this helps.

Mike

OK--thanks for the replies. I think that my plan forward will be what i suggested in my post, which is to align the back to dimples with the back two nutplates. This should align the trailing edge of the main leg fairing.

Back