What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us a pic of your FINISHED RV-7/7A!!!

rv7.jpg

This is one gorgeous RV, very beautiful indeed. Congrats.

Freshly Painted!

Picked up N16DK from Midwest Aircraft Refinishing about 2 weeks ago now. I must say, it looks awesome! Ross, George and Kris did a phenomenal job. Design by Conrad Kothmann at Maverick Aircraft Designs.

xWxg1-kbI8c7xU4zE6kbz116-Mmn9kmy6JKmhnFNqOz5eWmr2jgA9oEasMEOfRntRm3Pd0Yt7uT9tO2pQiVUHJqGNBEOlWSiN0KgE6ISGJHHjlowvZe1KCJXDz855wZQhdXabXrn0zU=w1050-

Last edited:
Beautiful plane! Ironically, I was working on my paint scheme and I too am going with Blue and Silver and was thinking of black too. Looks great on your plane!

Thank you!

We are very happy with how the plane turned out. The scheme was pretty unique but we love the color choices and the overall appearance.

So on Friday 26 February 2016 I have put another RV7A in the air. It is a QB that someone no longer with us started (RIP) and I have finished it in 14 months.

The panel is dual Skyview and the engine is a Superior XP-IO-360 with a Hartzell CS at the sharp end.

No snags during the maiden flight and four further flights were done. As you can see it was quite hazy and a lot of low cloud around, but at least not as hot as during the previous few days. It flies straight and fast like any RV should :D. The paint scheme is based on a F86 sitting in Seattle in the Museum of Flight.

This is the sixth RV project for me. I wish the three owners many years of RV adventures.
Nice 7! I was wondering which side panels you had in your interior? I'm looking for some but am coming up mostly blank! Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Finally !

After 18 years of building, I flew my RV-7 today. First flight was 2.0 hrs., with the coaching and experience of Terry Lutz as my CFI/APP. Followed by 1.2 hrs. solo after checking under the cowling. It does land different than my Dragonfly.
Gary
geut2HV.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations!!!! Beautiful airplane. Must be an amazing feeling.

8 years? Wow- I am not too far behind you. What serial #? I am 581.

N729PG

Here's a picture of my RV 7A. I first flew it April 1st 2012. It's been to Petit Jean several times, Atlanta, Birmingham, Sun and Fun repeat offender. New Orleans, Graceland... I love flying this plane. I hope to retire at the end of this year removing the "Have to get back to work" restriction from my license. If I end up stuck someplace because of weather and called in... my bosses would say "Pretty sure Delta is still flying!" :)
It's a solid day/night VFR x-country auto pilot equipped machine.
Building and flying your own airplane... simply one of the high lights of my life.

IMG_1752 by Paul Gray, on Flickr

Last edited:
N418RT Gets a new home in SoCal

Hi Folks...

I didn't build it, but I was very graciously allowed to acquire RV-7A N418RT from her builder, (Richie at KOMN), who completed it in 2016 and flew her for 200 hours. I had the distinct pleasure of taking her home to KVNY last week in 16.5 flight hours. There's not a squawk to be found, and very little I will do to make he my own. (I've just ordered the parts for my hand brakes, and I'll have a GMA-345 in the panel to go with the existing G3x/GTN 650 shortly. Beyond that, she's perfect for me already.)

Thanks so much Richie! You are a wonderful person, and I couldn't have asked for a nicer airplane.

qUPH4bM.jpg

-Michael

Michael-

Awesome! I've been wondering how the trip went. So glad to see you posting her up- gorgeous plane.

How was loading/unloading?

Again, congratulations. RV's are amazing planes, glad to see you in one.

dan

Dan!

Indeed, the trip went almost too well to be believed! No squawks or squeaks. It was a great time. I am loving this bird, and I will have lots to learn for some time to come. Moving from the FADEC IOF-240 and a fixed pitch propeller to the IO-360 an a constant speed propeller has reminded me of how much we forget if we don't use it regularly.

I have the ingress/egress down, and while a slider may be slightly easier, I'm doing just fine with the tip-up.

I'll send you some notes out of band. Thanks again for thoughts and input!

House of Kolor pearlescent paint scheme - airbrushed flames

Now that the VansAirforce website has been upgraded to enable photo attachments via the iCloud (good work Doug) I have belatedly decided to post a few pix of my RV7A. I hope you enjoy them. Incidentally, the new photo attachment enhancement to VansAirforce is undoubtedly the most profound improvement to the forum ever.

I originally posted this in the Virtual Hangar section but I feel this is a more appropriate place. Moderators can delete the original thread in the Virtual Hangar if they like.

You can enlarge any of the images to full size simply by clicking on them.

The aircraft first flew in May 2015. The C of A was issued by Darren Barnfield. The build took 11 years and 6500 shop hours (and lots more hours of research, study, and purchasing). Before I started the project I had completed subjects in Sheet Metal Pattern Development, and also in Advanced Aircraft Composites, at the Kangan Aerospace Academy. I assisted a friend to build his RV7 before I commenced work on my own project. So I was quite well prepared before I started building VH-EFX.

EFX J.jpg

I made 68 modifications to Vans basic design (none structural) including a screwless spinner, and a "floating" slider canopy with silicon bushings to allow for thermal movement. These mods added at least 2 years to the build time. The aircraft appeared on the front cover of AirSport Magazine in 2015.

P1030371.JPG

In 2015 the aircraft won the Ausfly Clive Canning Award for Best Metal Aircraft. At the same time it also won the Ausfly Concours de Elegance Award (best of all categories). In 2016 it won the Sport Aircraft Association of Australia (SAAA) Henri Millicer Award for Best Australian Technical Innovation. In 2017 it won the Best Homebuilt Award at the Avalon Airshow (largest airshow in the southern hemisphere). Later that same year it won the SAAA Grand Champion Award. And in 2019 it won the SAAA Grand Champion Award for a second time. After that I stopped entering it for awards.

Here are a few pix taken during the build process.

Barrow 7.JPG

Barrow 4.JPG

P1010705.JPG

Barrow 8.JPG

Many good people assisted me considerably during the build of this aircraft. In particular I am indebted to the amazingly knowledgable Maurice Rolfe of Rolfe Aviation who was my mentor throughout, to RV builder Bill Mitton who was my tireless and constant bucking partner, and to RV builder John Stephenson for his unflagging support and encouragement (unfortunately John crashed his aircraft and was killed just months before VH-EFX flew for the first time...I still miss him).

Here's a photo of N777JT fresh out of the paint shop at Boss Aircraft Refinishers in Salisbury, NC. I was trying for a 1970's muscle car look, in a color close to "Hemi Orange".

Attachments

• N777JT Boss Aircraft - Fresh.jpg
    N777JT Boss Aircraft - Fresh.jpg
    366.5 KB · Views: 681
Just out of the paint shop and resting on the ramp at KFSM.

Attachments

• IMG_2522.JPG
    IMG_2522.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 696
N430WB in paint

Here's my bird, recently painted, 95 hours young. Such a blast to fly!

IMG_0355-XL.jpg

Captain Avgas, looks like an amazing build, congrats :cool:

PS
Some up elevator in that nice airborne shot

We're learning to get along...
Airplane has a little over 20 hours.

Attachments

• 20220111_144305.jpg
    20220111_144305.jpg
    448 KB · Views: 303
FIRST FLIGHT

On Thursday the 10th of March N316KC took to the air on her maiden flight. All went well except for a few minor squawks. Needless to say I am beyond happy. Now its time to get the 40 hours flown off!!!
Video can be found here:
https://youtu.be/1KisCugdJzs

https://youtu.be/hPXkFCX6Jwk

I would like to give thanks to my RV buddies who have taken me under their wing, Pun intended.
Darrin, RV10 driver who has helped me through my many struggles and was instrumental in the wiring of my 7.
Harry, rocket driver, who was the mentor that taught me what a firewall forward should look like, one that would make anyone proud.
Jeff, 7 driver who kept me motivated with his humor and the occasional ride in his immaculate 7.
Also to the three of them who set the bar for greasy landings!!

Attachments

• 1343E97E-A963-4300-B4F4-EE6625DBC90D.jpeg
    1343E97E-A963-4300-B4F4-EE6625DBC90D.jpeg
    241.4 KB · Views: 218
  • 7A0B56DA-486C-4A21-8CD2-557186F3A9F8.jpeg
    7A0B56DA-486C-4A21-8CD2-557186F3A9F8.jpeg
    340.4 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:
On Thursday the 10th of March N316KC took to the air on her maiden flight. All went well except for a few minor squawks. Needless to say I am beyond happy. Now its time to get the 40 hours flown off!!!
Video can be found here:
https://youtu.be/1KisCugdJzs

https://youtu.be/hPXkFCX6Jwk

I would like to give thanks to my RV buddies who have taken me under their wing, Pun intended.
Darrin, RV10 driver who has helped me through my many struggles and was instrumental in the wiring of my 7.
Harry, rocket driver, who was the mentor that taught me what a firewall forward should look like, one that would make anyone proud.
Jeff, 7 driver who kept me motivated with his humor and the occasional ride in his immaculate 7.
Also to the three of them who set the bar for greasy landings!!

Awesome work! What a great accomplishment!
Must feel so satisfying!

THANKS

Congratulations Randy! Great feeling- let the fun begin!

you should be so proud

Congrats on the new fledgling :D

Congratulations Randy. Awesome

Good job Randy! Enjoy!

Congratulations! You will never forget that flight.

Awesome job Buddy. Can't wait for a pirep

Awesome work! What a great accomplishment!
Must feel so satisfying!
Thanks guys!!

Oh Boy!

After 2,900 hours of building interrupted a couple of times with life events RV7 N732DH took to the skies on November 1st! I have to say it was one of the biggest events in my life after marriage and 2 great sons. The "grin" was so big it hurt!

The plane flew fantastic and could not have asked for more, ball is centered and never touched the aileron trim, straight and true... and faster than I expected without the leg fairings and wheel pants. I'm happy to report my engine used no measurable oil (whew), my DIY plenum worked and did not have any significant rubs (whew), I did however blow through a lot of gas! I have much to learn about this little plane but so happy to start. Hopefully if weather cooperates I can get flight two and three this weekend.

Taxi out: https://youtu.be/gFNN9Fef5po anticipation building
First landing: https://youtu.be/CfpJsfk1Kxs

First flight!!! by Dave Hock, on Flickr

First flight!!! by Dave Hock, on Flickr

Back to rest! by Dave Hock, on Flickr

Could not have happened with out my good friends Walt and Jim who provided help and advice. The flight training with Mike Seager was invaluable, fun and HIGHLY recommended.

Good job Dave, another Colorado RV7/RVA,. My Daughter lives in Littleton and I'm on my #2 RV7 in KFNL taking more time than Larry. Cheers!

Back