What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Shunt help

almarsh

Well Known Member
NEED PICS OF SHUNT LOCATIONS AND CONECTION TO WHAT AND WHERE
THIS IS A LITTLE FRUSTRATING ALL VANS ELEC. DWG. HAVE NO EXPLAINATION OF
IM NOT ELECTRICIAN YET BUT LOOKS LIKE IM GONNA BE. ANY PICS OR ADVICE WILL HELP
THANKS RV6A.

Will this help? I'm still in the construction phase

firewallelectrics.jpg

anl 60

as i understand it the anl series of fuses are slow acting with a high tolerance for overload intended to provide true failure protection of the wire to the alternator. you select the load rating based on the output of the alternator. b&c and west marine sell both the bases and fuses.

Shunt or anl fuse sequence

Does it matter which order the shunt and fuse are in? Should the wire coming from the alternator connect to the fuse first then the shunt or shunt first then the fuse. I've seen photos of both. Does it matter? If so why?

Why use a shunt?

Do shunts add any additional value over a hall effect current sensor?

Directions

Does it matter which order the shunt and fuse are in? Should the wire coming from the alternator connect to the fuse first then the shunt or shunt first then the fuse. I've seen photos of both. Does it matter? If so why?

It does not matter which wire goes to which side of the shunt. What is important is you keep the shunt level so electrons do not pile up on one side.

kidding (sorry).

Shunt vs. hall effect senso

It's not an "added value" issue, it's a one or the other issue. They both perform the same function - measuring electrical current.
Got it - just seems like a hall effect sensor would be much easier to install and simpler - trying to understand if a shunt does anything better than a hall effect sensor.

hall effect sensor a bit more money, different mounting approach viz 'flat on the firewall' shunt, requires power

Back