What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tape on canopy - thoughts?

mturnerb

Well Known Member
I'm close to wrapping up my canopy. Installation required cutting edges of protective film on canopy back a bit - I have some temporary masking tape in place now.

Van's recommends against long term use of tape on canopy but also recommends protecting against scratches.

I'm interested in getting real world experience with longer-term use of either masking (high quality) or vinyl electrical tape on canopy to seal edges.

Thanks in advance!

Get the Costco roll of plastic wrap. If you can find the heavy-duty plastic wrap used by shippers to bind pallet loads, that's even better.

Cover your canopy with that stuff and use blue painter's tape to close the edges . The tape only sticks to the plastic wrap. Not on your canopy.

Long-term use of even painter's tape can result in dirt and grit trapped in the adhesive. When you clean it off, you're left with a haze. You can polish it out. But, easier to avoid altogether.

Masking tape will be very difficult to remove if left on for a long time. I spent several hours removing masking tape from my canopy rubbing with rags soaked in kerosene.

Robert

I found masking tape left on for many years (on the covering not the plexiglass) could only be softened with a citrus based cleaner safely. a wet strip of paper towel covered by aluminum foil, leave for a hour or more then take off with non abrasive teflon pot scrubber.

I believe that vinyl tape adhesive residue will come off easier. A little mineral spirits and it will dissolve into a soft cloth.

Tape on plex

I?ve had good luck with the green Frog Tape from Lowe?s, the high quality interior painting tape variety. Had no issues after 2+ years of storage. Came off easily with no residue. Canopy was stored in a air conditioned shop.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Back