Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > ADS-B
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2018, 04:25 PM

First burned by navworx, now this. I noticed the lack of traffic advisories but never looked into it. This is why ill be installing a GTX345 into my other aircraft. I know up front what I'm getting without having to guess or have others in the same boat do R&D to discover the pitfalls of the product. All great info between the threads that I wish had been out earlier. Funny how no dealer or manufacturer representative is around now to answer the mail.

TimO, thanks for the useful info shedding some light on this.
Aero Engineer, A&P
Old 06-07-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleffler View Post
There is also another known issue with some of the other UAvionics receivers in metro areas where you may have line of sight to multiple adsb towers. The quick fix was to use the Flightaware ADSB filter in series in the antenna input.

When I was testing the new Dynon unit, this greatly improved the reliability of the 472, until Dynon had uAvionic add the filters into the final production unit.

While I have no specific knowledge, it may help with the other uAvionics units too. Its about $15, so it doesn't cost a whole lot to experiment a bit.
Bob,
The only item I could find via a search is a bandpass filter. How would a simple bandpass filter help. Does nothing to prioritize traffic. Is there some other product? Do you have a link?
Davenport, IA
Old 06-07-2018, 10:38 AM

Shane,

If you are interested, shoot me an email or message on that box. I'll try to get some good photos and maybe a video or two on my vacation flight, and once we get things tested, it's not hard to build or install, and it could at least make your current install be better. I feel burned too. I bought 2 NavWorX systems, and they were actually great to work with up until the last couple years. I was pretty happy. I did want 1090Mhz receive though, and that was even something they were intending on doing this year, as they told me at OSH 2017. But after they folded, I caved and went with 2 Echos. After spending all that money, I'd hoped to be happy with the results...but now I can say I really wish I'd have went a different route. Between my buddy and I, we have hundreds of hours of effort into this box we built, and I've bought multiple versions of boards an components trying to keep making sure every last thing is as solid as can be. So it's been a lot of effort. I'd hope that the effort can make a difference to the community. It would be build-it-yourself, but it's not a complicated project.
Tim
RV-10/14 Transition Training: http://www.RVCFI.com
Old 06-07-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySantic View Post
Bob,
The only item I could find via a search is a bandpass filter. How would a simple bandpass filter help. Does nothing to prioritize traffic. Is there some other product? Do you have a link?
Read my post, did I say anything about prioritizing traffic? I did start by stating, "Another known issue". It did address a problem with disappearing traffic in areas where there is multiple towers within line of sight on another uAvionics ADSB receiver.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:55 AM

Tim, and others: I commend you for your discernment of the echo issues and efforts to fix. I use the Echo with the GRT Safefly GPS, but have not had the time, inclination, or ability to diagnose problems.

Did you address these issues with uAvionixs first? What was their response? I'd hope they are working on the same issues.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:07 PM

I initially mentioned some of the issues to them, but, I didn't get the feeling that they felt any urgency on them. And, when it came to issues with things like coasting (things that an EFIS maker could implement), they seem satisfied that if an EFIS maker can correct the issues, they can ignore them. I ended up being less than impressed and was left with the feeling that they aren't truly interested in doing anything too big to fix them, especially if you are not using one of the 2 or 3 most common EFIS systems. So I gave up. At one point they did offer me the new harness, but as I saw how it would work, it would have still left my system pretty limited...and we were already getting fired up to start the 2nd version of our box. Initially our box was built as a GDL90 to Serial-ARINC TCAS converter, but once WSI weather went away and I hooked up ADS-B traffic and weather format, we started the software changes to be GDL90 in and Out with filtering and all the other features. Once we started down that road, I was satisfied that whatever we came up with was going to work better than what they did. And the further we got into it, the more that was validated when we found things like collision alerts missing.

I'm honestly not sure if they have the hardware horsepower to do everything. It's certainly possible, but I haven't ripped one apart. I know the wifi module uses regular arduino ESP8266 type stuff in it. That right there tells you that this stuff wasn't purpose-built avionics. (Neither is our project, but we're just a couple of geeks, not an avionics company)

I figure *if* they address it, it would likely be with a different product, such as their new transponder. But, I'm not willing to take the leap to even test that at this point. The next time I put out cash it's going to be for something that is more main stream and works in certified planes.
RV-10/14 Transition Training: http://www.RVCFI.com
Old 06-07-2018, 12:12 PM

As a fence-sitter on the Skybeacon who knows just enough to grasp how much I don't know, thank you!

I await the "Q2 2018" Uavionix releases to see what is happening officially.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimO View Post
I initially mentioned some of the issues to them, but, I didn't get the feeling that they felt any urgency on them. And, when it came to issues with things like coasting (things that an EFIS maker could implement), they seem satisfied that if an EFIS maker can correct the issues, they can ignore them. I ended up being less than impressed and was left with the feeling that they aren't truly interested in doing anything too big to fix them, especially if you are not using one of the 2 or 3 most common EFIS systems. So I gave up. At one point they did offer me the new harness, but as I saw how it would work, it would have still left my system pretty limited...and we were already getting fired up to start the 2nd version of our box. Initially our box was built as a GDL90 to Serial-ARINC TCAS converter, but once WSI weather went away and I hooked up ADS-B traffic and weather format, we started the software changes to be GDL90 in and Out with filtering and all the other features. Once we started down that road, I was satisfied that whatever we came up with was going to work better than what they did. And the further we got into it, the more that was validated when we found things like collision alerts missing.

I'm honestly not sure if they have the hardware horsepower to do everything. It's certainly possible, but I haven't ripped one apart. I know the wifi module uses regular arduino ESP8266 type stuff in it. That right there tells you that this stuff wasn't purpose-built avionics. (Neither is our project, but we're just a couple of geeks, not an avionics company)

I figure *if* they address it, it would likely be with a different product, such as their new transponder. But, I'm not willing to take the leap to even test that at this point. The next time I put out cash it's going to be for something that is more main stream and works in certified planes.
You mention common EFIS systems... Is disappearing targets a problem with ForeFlight running on a mini iPad? Does FF have coasting and filtering?
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2004
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC Jul 2012 - Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 402

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks to EJ Trucks
Old 06-09-2018, 04:51 AM

Default It gets worse

If the Ping is flooding your EFIS now, then imagine how bad it will be once the datastream is upgraded to include lightning strikes and the other products planned for release this year. I'm definitely interested in your project TimO.

Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimO View Post
Shane,

If you are interested, shoot me an email or message on that box. I'll try to get some good photos and maybe a video or two on my vacation flight, and once we get things tested, it's not hard to build or install, and it could at least make your current install be better. I feel burned too. I bought 2 NavWorX systems, and they were actually great to work with up until the last couple years. I was pretty happy. I did want 1090Mhz receive though, and that was even something they were intending on doing this year, as they told me at OSH 2017. But after they folded, I caved and went with 2 Echos. After spending all that money, I'd hoped to be happy with the results...but now I can say I really wish I'd have went a different route. Between my buddy and I, we have hundreds of hours of effort into this box we built, and I've bought multiple versions of boards an components trying to keep making sure every last thing is as solid as can be. So it's been a lot of effort. I'd hope that the effort can make a difference to the community. It would be build-it-yourself, but it's not a complicated project.
Tim
Old 06-09-2018, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosepileit View Post
As a fence-sitter on the Skybeacon who knows just enough to grasp how much I don't know, thank you!

I await the "Q2 2018" Uavionix releases to see what is happening officially.
....So were in Q2 now....or are you talking about OSH release info? Do you know there are things in the works? I think were all devoid of good intel so would be nice to know if they are acting on all this churn.....
N251Y (res)
Dec2017