What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Double flush rivets on fuselage skins

rdamazio

Well Known Member
As I'm reading the plans for my -10 fuselage ahead of what I'm actually building, I noticed that on page 29-18 (referenced from step 1 in 29-17), two of the rivets are double flush.
I couldn't, however, find a corresponding countersinking step for the inside of those - should I assume that I must implicitly countersink the other side so they can sit flush? And in this case, can someone confirm if the other side of those holes lies on the outboard flanges of the F-1004C parts?

Thanks
Rodrigo

should I assume that I must implicitly countersink the other side so they can sit flush? And in this case, can someone confirm if the other side of those holes lies on the outboard flanges of the F-1004C parts

Yes to your question. There is no step spelled out to countersink those holes, but you do need to. It's to allow the landing gear support to sit flush when installing it in a later step. I had the same question when I came to this step.

Rodrigo, I have a QB fuse, so I had to go re-read all that. On my fuse the weldment sits over those two rivet shop heads. And they didn?t do a good job of countersinking/double flushing those. Can send you a picture of mine if you want.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Rodrigo, I have a QB fuse, so I had to go re-read all that. On my fuse the weldment sits over those two rivet shop heads. And they didn?t do a good job of countersinking/double flushing those. Can send you a picture of mine if you want.

Yes, please do, just so I'm really sure I'll countersink the right place :)

Back