What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

control stick grips

olderthandirt

Well Known Member
I think my kit did not come with anything on sticks...that is to say no grips or push to talk grips on control sticks..now what?? I know that there are lotof people with more experience than me..so is there a sggestion for stick grips with push to talk buttons?? thanks Dick

I used the earlier version of those grips they install easily though I haven't used them yet - still building. I also ordered one extra grip (no PTT switch or wiring) and used it on the flap handle.

Grips

You will need a set of bicycle hand grips for the 12 or you can also order a set of Ray Allen grips. Later, sub out the push to talk button that came with the kit for the Ray Allen.

Take a look at the on line catalog from Aircraft Spruce. Lots of choices.
Popular choices (less to more expensive) include Ray Allen, Tosten, and Infinity. As usual everyone swears by their choice.

I went with the Ray Allen G205 grip. The buttons on top are rated to 5 amps, so no need for relays for electric trim.

I followed Vans advice with these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030RS68S?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage They fit snugly and the existing drain hole at the end enlarges nicely for a PTT switch. The E-LSA version of the -12 allows only PTT on the stick.

Note that many of the conventional aircraft grips will not fit the -12's stick diameter.

This is true concerning initial certification; however, afterwords you can add China hat trim control..auto-pilot disconnect..etc. without "violating" E-LSA certification.

Installed the G101B grips. The price is right. Has a quality button. Is comfortable. Foam shows no wear after 6 years. You can use a male and a female DB connector crimp terminal covered with a short length of heat shrink for the tiny wires.

I used very simple, yet functional foam grips from my local bicycle shop - they are light, soft, and cool. Van's factory-supplied PTT switch has held up well so far. I like to fly with my left wrist lying across my left thigh which puts my hand somewhat lower on the control stick. Some of those fancy grips don't readily lend themselves to such a hand position.

grips

Mike, thanks for answering even though I know you told me when we were flying...I like the ones from Amazon..so will order..now to see if Van's gave me two push to talk or just one..thought it was just one?? Dick

I installed the very basic Tosten grips. I couldn't bear to use the cheap PTT switches that come with the kit.

SLSA

Saw an SLSA-12 at the Casa Grande gathering last week. Noted that the grips on it looked really good and I hope that they were installed by the factory. Was unable to look at them up close as the canopy was closed. When the time comes, I plan to call Synergy sp? for the name and number of those grips.

Back