What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Step "Crack"

J Twilbeck

Well Known Member
I found a crack in my RH step....well more of an "un-welded" spot. I sent an email to Van's to see what they suggest, I suggest a new step but that's my opinion. We'll see. ...anyone else have an issue like this?

Vans Aircraft,
I am currently building my RV-10 and was looking at my steps when I noticed a small "crack" (not really a crack more of an opening where the two tubes aren't fully welded). I thought the crack might just be superficial so to get a better look I polished the weld (NOTE the "crack" was found before I started polishing the weld) and found that it indeed runs deep. The "crack" is about 0.7" in length and at it's widest point about 0.02" in width. I don't know if a new step is required, but I would not feel comfortable using this one as is.

blogger-image-1415238719.jpg

Definitely a good catch. There was a thread a while back where someone got an elevator horn that was only tack welded. I intend to inspect welds very carefully on all future parts and at annual.

A friend down here had a cracked step, the weld had not penetrted well and the crack appeared and then broke off.

I recently pulled one step out for what I thought may be a crack starting but it was just in the powder coating.

Big suggestion here:

In the baggage area put in two inspection hatches, so you can get the bolts out and replace the legs. We used the hatch that vans produce for the stall warning kits. Just enough room to get your hands in.

Get a new one. I had a 250 lb guy break mine off. It will put a dent in the lower corner of the fuse when it does.

Dr Fred.
515 FW 550+ hrs.

My welds looked questionable on the steps as received and because of others reporting problems with the welds breaking, I re-welded the joints before installation.

Get a new one. I had a 250 lb guy break mine off. It will put a dent in the lower corner of the fuse when it does.

Dr Fred.
515 FW 550+ hrs.

My step is unbelievably strong. I have only one on left side and it did see some athletic aviators. Once while boarding the tail hit the ground with no damage to the concrete :)

Too much grinding

The original weld is still there, but looks like someone may have been too zealous with the grinder and they ground through the pipe to make it look better. Do not leave as is.
Re-weld and move on....

I would just re weld it.:cool:

I would love to, although having never welded before I figured this step shouldn't be my first try at it. :eek:

Update...
Vans is paying to have it shipped back to them and they will re-weld it and ship it back to me. A new step is $177 so I'll try the free method first. Plus I caught the crack early enough so I won't need the steps for a while now...so I'm ok with waiting.

The original weld is still there, but looks like someone may have been too zealous with the grinder and they ground through the pipe to make it look better. Do not leave as is.
Re-weld and move on....

As stated above I found the crack prior to polishing the edges.

Heads up builders! Inspect your welds!

UPDATE:

Van's deemed the step to be "Defective part and could not be repaired" so they sent me a new one, no charge, and it looks much better.

Back